eBay selling tips

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wesk702, Oct 5, 2015.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

just wanted to give some helpful info on people flipping their previous phones on eBay to prevent scams.

-obvious one, but create filters on auctions to weed out bidders with no history.

-still look at their history though. There are a lot of scammers increasing their history count with buying up bogus sales. You can deal with these people by just cancelling their bids manually.

-set the auction end time when you can conveniently monitor so you can cancel the last minute snippers.

-create an iCloud account just for the sale. This way you can set an iCloud lock password for the buyer. Once the buyer receives the item, I make sure they email me that they have the phone and that it is as described. Then I give them the iCloud unlock pass. When creating this iCloud account, don't use the phone to create, use a computer because phones are limited to starting a few iCloud accounts before it does not allow anymore. Also doing this you can set the phone to send last known location. If your extra paranoid, put in a cheap prepaid data sim to track along the way incase it can't jump on to the buyers wifi witout a password.

-deliver only to confirmed PayPal address

- it's important to monitor reputations because PayPal does not reimburse you incase the buyer says item received, but received a box of cards.

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Very smart tips, thanks for this post. The throwaway iCloud one is actually very clever, I think I might use that one!

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

I personally don't bother with auctions. I look at the recently sold listings to get an idea of what my device will sell for and then set a price with "buy it now" and "immediate payment required". Pretty much eliminates the likelihood of scammers and fake accounts. Usually goes very smoothly for me.

4. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I usually sell items at a fixed price as well. When it comes to bidding, I'll sometimes watch an item and wait until the final minutes to start bidding, so I guess I'm a "last minute snipper" ;) Nice tips, though!

5. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

Many thanks for the tips!
    For this particular one, could you please elaborate?

6. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

What does "flipping a phone" mean? Do you mean auctioning? Is flipping the new hipster word for auctioning or selling?

7. CE3 macrumors 6502a

In this case I think it just means selling your old phone to upgrade to a newer one. But you could also flip a phone by buying one with a damaged component like a cracked screen, repairing the device yourself and then selling to make a profit.

8. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

9. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

10. Black05Hemi macrumors member

Here's another tip: Sell it on Swappa. eBay is thievery.

11. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

List by oct 7 for $5 sale fee vs 8% or so for qualified sellers. Don't know if that available to newbies. Must be 5 days or more. I always do Buy It Now immediate payment PayPal. Glad to be on upgrade program now. No more resales.

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

+1

Swappa is great and the fees are only $10.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

No, it literally means flipping the phone, in the air, deftly, and auctioning off opportunities for people to gather round and watch you flip the phone. There are some flippin good flippers out there.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

15. Repelle macrumors regular

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

these might sound like great tips, but in the end not a single one will matter as ebay/paypal always side with the buyer. I've been buying and selling on ebay for 10+ years, if i bought a phone from you and it was icloud locked until i told you it was described...i'd send the phone back and give you negative feedback. Basically playing hostage with the code until they tell you it's as described to try to protect yourself with paypal? Sorry, but that's a little ridiculous IMO.

17. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

Don't do the icloud lock thing, it'll anger/confuse your buyer and you are risking him starting a "Item not as described" even if you explain to them you'll send the password right after they receive the item. Some of them don't read or remember about it.

18. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yeah i'd be so mad if someone did that and was holding the code hostage until i gave them positive feedback etc. I encounter people all the time that buy the item and have specific instructions afterwards. I just refund money and relist...worth the risk of getting negative feedback from them as opposed to losing money.

19. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Can you do this with a flip phone?

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

I had to think about this post as its not quite clear seller or buyer. Think its mixed so in general:

1) You cannot filter out people with no history. You can filter out people with reported issues. Ebay considers a person with no history a viable buyer.
    2) If you are accepting offers, then yes you can review the comment history of a offeror. Straight up purchases, your stuck with the buyer unless they don't pay.
    3) Don't wait longer that 24 hour for payment, if you don't have the payment issue a cancellation. Remember, the buyer has to agree to the cancellation but bogus buyers will accept. Call ebay and make sure the final fee change is reversed.
    4) Don't ship until paid. Ever.
    5) You have no seller protection on ebay if you ship to an unconfirmed address.
    6) Follow the ebay seller requirement for needing a signature at delivery. If think its item price >750.
    7) Snap a picture of the back of the device box
    8) Snap a picture of the screen at the General-About menu where the IMEI and Serial number are shown
    9) Make sure you sign out of iTunes. Turn off Find My Mac. Sign out of iCloud.
    10) Remove lock code
    11) Reset the device and erase all.
    12) Remove your SIM

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

I simply wont transfer applecare until they confirm. There are buyer and seller rules. Be in compliance and you have your best shot of being protected.

22. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Not waiting for positive feedback. But just to confirm the item condition is as described. If they do not want to agree that the item is as described, then they can send it back. I've done his several times and always list this in my details page. Haven't had a problem. If they don't want to say the item is in the condition in which you sent it, then you know you have a scammer and worst case scenario, they steal your item, but they have a brick with your last known location.

23. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

And if they complain to eBay that you bricked their phone (the one that you took money for), who do you think eBay is going to side with? They're not required to give you any confirmation or communicate with you in any way. They paid for a phone in good working order, and they did their part by sending you your money.

Scammers are going to scam, and honest people are going to be honest.

C

24. comics addict macrumors 6502a

On eBay or Paypal ?

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

This special is by invitation. If you did not get an email inviting you to enroll in the special you won't get the deal.