ebay selling tips?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furious, Jun 18, 2007.

1. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Tell all your ebay secrets here. :p

Anyway I have 19 DVD's I would like to get rid of. Naturally I would like to get the most money possible for them. So am looking for tips, hints, cheats, strategies or plans people use to maximise there sales on ebay.

I have sold on ebay before and have 100% satisfaction rating. I have never sold DVD's before. Looking at DVD clearing prices they are around $10.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It usually gets you more if you sell them seperatly, though that isn't always the case.

If they have cases and are in good condition, all the better.

If you want to add a "Buy it Now" feature, try to set the price for each item as the amount you would like to make off of it.

I've never sold on eBay before, though I do buy a lot, and I find that the sellers use these tactics frequently.

3. furious thread starter macrumors 65816

furious

oh! yeah! I will defiantly be selling them separately

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

dont be a jerk about it.

thats a good rule of thumb.

when you sell, say a DVD, the shipping costs should be more than like $5.

ive seen places sell stuff for $0.99 but charge you $20 for shipping. All to get around eBay fees, as they dont charge a % of shipping costs....

People look at shipping costs, sometimes, and think "nope, makes the item cost too much"...

5. furious thread starter macrumors 65816

furious

Shipping will be $2.50. As the bag cost $0.50 and the stamps cost about $2.00.

6. sonarghost macrumors regular

I sell quite a bit on ebay and one good thing to do if you are selling multiple items is to mention at the bottom of the ad something to the effect of:

"Be sure to check out my other dvd auctions for great deals on your movie favorites!"

this will lead traffic to your other auctions that they may not know exists.

Another thing is to make sure to have a "combined shipping" option on each of your auctions..People will buy multiple auctions if they know you will combine shipping for a cheaper price.

"adult owned" is another catchy phrase which alludes to the feeling that the movies are in good condition.

I always put down that I ship the very next business day after payment received. Many people, like myself, have had bad experiences with sellers taking forever to ship.

Finally I always bring notice to my feedback rating. I always include the sentence "Please check my perfect feedback and bid with upmost confidence!" It's good to toot your own horn about this and gains trust.

Please forgive me if I've told you things you already know but I thought I would just share how I have sold DVDs, over 100 at this point!:D

7. furious thread starter macrumors 65816

furious

NO NO! that is great advice. Some things in there that I would never of thought of. Telling people of my other auctions, adult owned is great, combine shipping, and making people aware of perfect feedback.

Thank you I will be sure to use them. :D

8. Bogie macrumors regular

I just try to be friendly and almost conversational in my descriptions and I always include pictures I took rather than generic pictures. I also have a perfect seller rating with several items having sold for over a thousand dollars, so that helps to earn peoples trust.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

lower starting price, raise shipping. within reason, don't make the starting price a penny and then charge 20 bucks for shipping.

Also, make a shipping/insurance/return policy clear. Any ambiguity and eBay/paypal are likely to side with the buyer should there be a dispute

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

no this is a bad idea, and i said earlier, DONT BE A JERK. especially when it comes to shipping costs.

Charge what its going to cost, plus MAYBE a few dollars for handling and packaging. people will more readily bid when they know you just want to sell the item and not being a greedy jerk.

everything on eBay, that isnt rare or unique, goes for the same price everytime. if you are selling a MBP of certain specs and you see one just ended for $2k, rest assured yours will sell for the same amount. +/- a little of course.

with that in mind, $.01 and $.99 starting bids keep your eBay costs down (listing fees are based on starting bids) so its a good idea to check what your item HAS gone for, and if you are happy with that amount, start bidding low because it will go as high as anything before it.

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Media mail (in the U.S.) is cheaper than $2.00. But I notice you're in australia.

• No Reserve - those usually go higher. People are reluctant to bid if you have a reserve price.
    • Buy it Nows are worth it only if the BIN price is low. If you have a high BIN price, its effect is similar to that of a reserve price. If you want to do BIN, I recommend making the BIN disappear after first bid.
    • Low starting bid - I always start my auctions at $1, no matter what it is. Entices the first bid - important
    • Bold - I pay for bolded listings for pricier items. Negligible cost.
    • check your e-mail/my ebay regularly to answer all questions on time and put them on the FAQ
    • Include pictures. Host them yourself to save money.
    • Learn a little HTML and make your own pretty listing that's clear. Or use iGarage.

12. furious thread starter macrumors 65816

furious

Thank you all for your advice. One thing I am not clear on is the day the auction should end. Is there one day that is better than the others. i.e. Is ending the auction on Sunday better than ending it on Monday?

13. sonarghost macrumors regular

Hello again, I actually have better luck ending my auctions on a saturday afternoon. Why you ask? I figure on early Sunday there are alot of people that are going to church on many different times of the day, restricting them from being on the computer. If you also list on Sunday with the ending time too late many will not bid if they have to go to bed early for an early workday on Monday.

I really do not like Monday for several reasons as well. First, it is a workday with a variety of work times. Secondly, Many have to deal with picking up their kids and after school activities that restrict them from being near a computer.

I rarely have my auctions end on any other day than Saturday afternoon.

I know this may sound a little to analytical but this is just my experience.:D

Also while I'm thinking about it BE SURE to space out the auction end times. You don't want them to all end at the exact same time and not allow buyers bidding on MULTIPLE auctions to get that "last minute" bid in! I usually space 4-5 min. between each auction to get the maximum "action" so to speak.:)

14. sonarghost macrumors regular

Btw, I second the info by Jng to use Html and pictures. I am a big fan of GarageSale for putting up some GREAT looking auctions

www.iwascoding.com

you can try it out for free for 2 listings and is well worth the money if you do alot of auctions.

15. furious thread starter macrumors 65816

furious

Saturday? Thank you. I ask because I want to get the most money I can. I would try GarageSale though I am on a tight budget and US$30 is out of my price range. I will look at it if I am selling large items. At the moment I am only selling old DVD's I do not want anymore.