eBay- source of stolen iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tsuchiya, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Since when did eBay get so lax about this kind of stuff? There are dozens of these phones listed, attracting bids and seemingly avoid any scrutiny from eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...ged&_nkw=iphone+5s+damaged&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Pretty much all have iCloud activation issues, and this one in particular made me laugh:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iphone-5s...67547?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item3a9585a79b

The seller openly admits that he just found the phone and immediately sought to list it:confused:

You can't even report suspected stolen items because their stupid customer support thing will only accept allegations from the police.

2. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

eBay doesn't care. They make money off of this filthy criminality and can claim plausible deniability.

3. 617aircav Suspended

EBay can't police its millions of listings every day.

4. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Yeah, ebay could care less. They sit back and relax under the pretense of not being able to monitor it...

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

eBay doesn't care nor do they have the manpower to monitor millions of listings for things that may be from questionable sources. Buyers have to pay attention to what they're buying.

In terms of legality they probably require police because who are you to determine whether or not an item is stolen? Things could get pretty messy if they start letting regular users accuse each other of having stolen goods.

Plus eBay is making money of those sales so there's even less incentive to police them.

6. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Have any of you tried Swappa.com? I've been using it and haven't had any issues. They only charge $10/sale.

7. cnotes2019 Suspended

I second this.

8. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

My sister got caught on Gumtree buying a iCloud locked 5. She reported it to the police and they told her to hold on to it.
    I told her to sell it for parts on eBay

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Since when? More like they've always been that way. Stolen iPhones will continue to be hot commodities until ebay and our legislature do something about it.

10. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It really sucks. I'm guessing a lot of people who willingly buy these iCloud blocked iPhones know what the deal is :confused:

11. 617aircav Suspended

Swappa is good for selling, just not for buying. If the phone is not as described they dont help you like ebay does.

12. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

eBay could change their policy and not allow sales of locked and bad ESN phones but choose to ignore the issue. As long as there is any market and people are willing to purchase obviously stolen phones for parts the theft problem will continue.

13. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

eBay- source of stolen iPhones

Exactly.

Carriers have webpages that allow you to see if an ESN is reported stolen. eBay could tie into these websites to automatically check for bad ESNs. They could work with Apple to weed out iCloud-locked devices. eBay appears to just look the other way.

IMO eBay is complicit in this lawless filth of black market thieves dealing in stolen phones.

14. 617aircav Suspended

Not all blacklisted phones are stolen

15. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Stay away from eBay. I've been burned so many times it's not worth it anymore.

16. 617aircav Suspended

wow ive been burned once in 10 years.