eBay still best place to part out Power Mac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Sepultura, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Sepultura macrumors regular

I got my Power Mac G5 sitting in the corner here collecting dust. I have had it for sale on my local craigslist for the past year but haven't gotten any bites, not even for the case. I have sold many PPC's in the past with ease, but no one around here seems to care for the towers. Selling the whole computer on eBay is out of the question. First off Canadian shipping to the US or even in Canada is ridiculous so I wouldn't make any profit, I'd probably lose money if anything. Secondly there is a good chance of something being damaged in shipping and the seller complaining. Maybe you guys can direct me to a market forum or something similar for PPC enthusiasts?

My G5 is the final quad model. The motherboard or 1 CPU may be dead. I was troubleshooting it a few years ago but didn't have time to pursue it. Everything else inside it works. The best gpu, the 7800 GTX, 9 GB memory, Superdrive, Delphi LCS with no leakage, power supply, etc.

2. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Hey Man. Where are you located in Canada? Perhaps you're close? I'll Pm you.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

Try eBay with collect only. Not everyone looks at Craigslist. It might be worth looking at the CPU again. People tend to shy away from anything that sounds faulty if they are looking for more than a case or spare parts.

4. PPCMac macrumors newbie

PPCMac

Hey. Depending on where you are, I may be interested in the G5 Quad. I don't mind having a project to work on to try and find out what needs to be fixed. I'm close to Toronto, Ontario

5. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

I am in BC lol sorry.

6. XaPHER macrumors regular

XaPHER

Does your quad really have the Delphi LCS? Personnally I heard it always shipped with the Panasonic one.

Just to mention, because the Delphi LCS was responsible for killing almost every 2.7 ghz dual powermacs.

7. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

From what I've seen, Quads came with both, thus whether you got the Panasonic or Delphi LCS is a total case of luck.

8. XaPHER macrumors regular

XaPHER

I personnally think there's even more sheer luck to a Delphi-cooled powermac that hasn't died from leakage in 2017 than having a Panasonic-cooled one.. well, having a panasonic LCS is preferable though.

9. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I think the pumps in the Quads are both Delphi, but the difference is that one is a dual pump system, and the other is a single pump. My prototype quad has a single pump, which leads me to believe that those are the early revision systems