Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trssho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Ebay has become a wasteland for deadbeats and scam artists. Last month, I listed my K7 Pentax, and got a Nigerian scammer win the auction. When I relisted it, prospective buyers could see that I had listed the same items, and if I were looking at the relist, I would be cautious at best. Went for about $100 less than it should have.

Now I have listed my 3GS last week, and it went for $520. Great....except the person that won the auction has not paid, and has not responded to my invoice, emails, or phone calls. They signed up for ebay that day with 0 rating. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent this kind of ebayer from bidding.

Now what? The 4G gets announced tomorrow, and I am in a jam. A) trying to sell it after the new phones announced, and when I relist it, people will again see me listing and item I have already sold! B) I need the money to finance my new phone.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebay BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jshort

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Ebay has become a wasteland for deadbeats and scam artists. Last month, I listed my K7 Pentax, and got a Nigerian scammer win the auction. When I relisted it, prospective buyers could see that I had listed the same items, and if I were looking at the relist, I would be cautious at best. Went for about $100 less than it should have.

Now I have listed my 3GS last week, and it went for $520. Great....except the person that won the auction has not paid, and has not responded to my invoice, emails, or phone calls. They signed up for ebay that day with 0 rating. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent this kind of ebayer from bidding.

Now what? The 4G gets announced tomorrow, and I am in a jam. A) trying to sell it after the new phones announced, and when I relist it, people will again see me listing and item I have already sold! B) I need the money to finance my new phone.

Agreed! And don't forget.. that as the seller you have absolutely zero rights or say in what happens if the auction doesn't go as you said it must go in your listing. The buyer has all the rights and even if you say must be paid within 24 hours... and he takes 124.. he can do that. And what's this final value fee crap about?? And EBay wonders why they're bleeding.. :rolleyes:

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I just finally sold a Nokia X6 last week.. it was bought THREE times to three different buyers before I could actually ship it and be satisfied!

Selling electronics on eBay is stress - I really avoid it for the most part.

Here was part of my listing for it..

Otherwise, the phone is excellent. Was used for a week, really amazing phone. It's network 3 at the moment, so will need unlocked if you want to use it on another network. The charger and instruction manual and original box is all there. If you have any questions on want more pictures just send me a message - I'm easy to deal with with everyone except HRH of Nigeria, who incidentally is barred from buying this phone due to past negative experiences.

As for delivery - Recorded Delivery, same day dispatch. If you want to return it - no problem, just send it in the original condition. Don't give to your kids to play footy with then try to get a partial refund out of me. It won't wash.

brdnboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Boulder, CO

I have an almost identical situation. Mine sold last Thursday night for $521 to a bidder with about 20 feedback and 100% positive, but no recent ebay activity (as bad as a new ebayer). They have not responded to invoices or personal messages. With the announcement only 24 hrs away i am in a bind to get it sold. I sent one second chance offer and have it listed on craigslist but no luck yet.

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Mine sold for $600 on Friday night and I got the money a couple of hours later. I must say, though, that I was worried about not getting the money. You need to second-chance offer the phone immediately and it should be out of your hands before WWDC tomorrow.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
eBay is very hit or miss. I was lucky when I sold my 2g iPhone. Guy did the buy it now and paid for it quick but I have been scammed on there before when buying things. Craigslist as ghetto as it seems, seems to have better luck for me. At least you can deal with people close and meet them face to face.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've recently sold an iPod touch but PayPal are my woe at the moment. They are holding the buyers funds while they investigate the payment.

I'm always dubious selling on eBay now days as I always feel a scam inlet in my midst.

Now that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback, the situation is worse as there is no way of warning others of these scam artists. :(

Good luck selling your iPhone op. Can you not do a 2nd chance offer to the next lowest bidder?

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX

do a second chance offer. And yes you can prevent people from bidding all you have to do it set a minimum feedback rating!

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
eBay is very hit or miss. I was lucky when I sold my 2g iPhone. Guy did the buy it now and paid for it quick but I have been scammed on there before when buying things. Craigslist as ghetto as it seems, seems to have better luck for me. At least you can deal with people close and meet them face to face.

this. you know you cant get screwed over.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
This is why now I search for completed listings, get an average and just list the buy it now near that, requiring immediate payment.

Ebay is a pain in the ass. Combined with paypal, they side with the buyer too much and their protection is a joke.

trssho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've recently sold an iPod touch but PayPal are my woe at the moment. They are holding the buyers funds while they investigate the payment.

I'm always dubious selling on eBay now days as I always feel a scam inlet in my midst.

Now that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback, the situation is worse as there is no way of warning others of these scam artists. :(

Good luck selling your iPhone op. Can you not do a 2nd chance offer to the next lowest bidder?

I might, but something like an iPhone, there are sooo many of them on there, they just move on to the next 50.

I may go to a buy it now listing, where immideate payment is due to complete bid.

Kellen.. Great minds.

trssho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
do a second chance offer. And yes you can prevent people from bidding all you have to do it set a minimum feedback rating!

Looked like the only options when I listed for minimum rating was 0,-1,-2! Which makes nooooo sense.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
My first iPhone 3G was from Ebay. The buyer stated that the phone was 12 weeks old. In fact the IMEI revealed that it was 10 months old. It took me a few emails to get the accessories with it. In the end, the phone turned out to have such a poor battery life, that I returned it. As the seller was so rude and arrogant, I used special delivery to London with their signature recorded. The man refused to refund me. In the end, despite the fact that they signed for it and O2 registered the phone in their area, the man still argued that I didn't send it.

Anyway, I got my money back, minus the postage, but I have to say that the next time, I'll try to avoid Ebay. Having said that, these scammers are good for keeping the price up a bit (on the expense of alienating potential buyers due to the security issues). I suppose, it's better to sell the phone at a lower price than having it sent to a fraudster.

I tried to sell a few of my MacBooks, MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros on Ebay too. Those stories are even more alarming.

In Nigeria, everybody seems to work for some Ministry that owes me money and everybody seems to want Apple hardware. :eek:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ebay is a pain in the ass. Combined with paypal, they side with the buyer too much and their protection is a joke.

Exactly.
And then if the buyer claims that theres a scratch or a scuff on the phone they try to take money off the purchase price.
Its a real headache selling things on ebay latelly. Full of scammers and high fees.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Learned some lessons here have we?

Been through all that crap and you have to be specific in your listing. No other countries but yours, no buyers with 15 or less feedback . You HAVE to look at what some of these chumps have bought / sold before too. I saw a guy with 100+ feedback, but he was buying and selling postcards and none of them were over 5 cents each. He was fluffing his feedback %s.

My biggest gripe: I dont like that eBay charges so much of a % for items selling like phones etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.