Ebay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmw328ci, Jan 27, 2011.

1. bmw328ci macrumors newbie

Would you buy a MBP from ebay? If the seller have good feedback but the price was too good to be true will you go for it?
    Anyone had a problem with ebay and then he got a refund ?

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

look to see if the feedback is current... like in the last 30 days.. some thieves will "buy" an acct that is great and then do as much fraud as possible in a little amount of time. Just read and look closely at the feedback.

3. Mangos86 macrumors member

I would say that if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Ebays refund and complaint process can be long and arduous. On the chance that it is a scam be prepared to be without your money for a few weeks minimum. You could always do some looking on craigslist too. Good luck.

4. WardC, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Post the link to the auction and I will check it out. I have quite a bit of experience both buying and selling on eBay and I can tell you if this is a "real deal" or a complete "stay-away". There is one MacBook Pro seller on eBay that I believe is buying machines and upgrading them himself, then selling them for a profit (for instance a $3800 machine, as configured from the Apple Store, advertised as new, he is selling for $2999). It is a MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD and a High-resolution display. It just looks too good to be true, but the guy has like 11,000 feedback and is a POWER SELLER. Also, nowhere he states that he has opened the machines and done these upgrades. It seems like you are getting the spec Apple config with Apple RAM and parts, which would make it much more expensive, but I think he is just getting the cheapest parts he can, installing them, and turning a huge profit on these BTO MacBook Pros.

I think his eBay name is "macman812" Yes, 11,382 feedback rating.

EDIT: I just sent a lengthy e-mail to this seller about this...I was curious whether he was selling Apple factory-configured machines with Apple genuine stock parts (hynix RAM and Apple Toshiba SSD from the factory), or whether he was upgrading these machines himself with his own parts. The deal just sounds "too good to be true"

5. bmw328ci thread starter macrumors newbie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220730875319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This is the link and somebody just bought it.:(

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

How much is 1100 pounds in USD? Is it about $2 to the pound, or a little more. That sounds about right for that machine, about $2200 is about the market cost, you can actually find them for around $2000 from several online retailers if you do your shopping right.

I don't think that deal was a 'steal' -- it looks about market value of what we would pay in the USA for that machine, just the base 2.66GHz i7 15" MacBook Pro, I am talking about.

EDIT: OHHH I see it was the 2.8GHz with the antiglare display, so it was a good deal. That is now about a $2500 machine you are looking at.

7. bmw328ci thread starter macrumors newbie

1100 pound is around 1750 $ and the cheapest thing you can find this MBP is 1750 pound. Apple sell it for 2150 pound, 3350 $

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

No way! I am just too skeptical of getting sold a grayscale model as a new one. Also, even though it is not supposed to have an impact on warranty, it can and it can create a nightmare. An example of this could be you get the computer and it doesn't work. You can't return it so you send it to Apple. Apple says it was purchased from a non-authorized dealer and because of that, they feel it was damaged by the shipping and it is not their job to replace it.

9. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

If it's too good to be true it usually is. As long as you go by that and make sure to check feedback go ahead. I would try to buy one that still has warranty though.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Tried eBay this year, got an advertised "like new" MBA that had liquid spilled onto the KB.

I went back 'n forth with the seller, he refused to do anything so I opened an eBay dispute. I took tons of photos, a video and went into the Apple Store to get the damage documented. I sent everything to eBay.

eBay sided with me, but for the risk and hassle involved, I won't be doing it again.

12. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Looks dodgy to me, too cheap plus the seller has only feedback for perfume, all of a sudden selling brand new macbooks?

13. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Straight out NO!

I wouldn't trust some eBay sellers, selling such an expensive item for a price that is significantly cheaper than the Apple site, that would make you want to take that risk due to such a cheap price instead of your safe bet.

When you spend so much money on a product like a MacBook Pro, 99% of the people will want to buy it from a genuine Apple retailer. I believe that even if it looked genuine, it still wouldn't feel quite as right as when you buy direct from Apple or from an official retailer. (You wouldn't be at ease using the machine).

If anything goes wrong, or it turns out to be a scam - I know that it could very well be a long and tedious process to seek compensation/refund.

Buy from Apple. It will feel better ;)

14. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I bought my MBP from eBay over a year ago. At the time I didn't have the money for a new one. I was pretty skeptical about it but the seller I bought from was very honest about the defects of the computer, he took very good pictures of all the cosmetic issues and I've had NO issues with the laptop.

I bought an older MPB (A1151) for about 600$ and I am hooked on apple products now, soon I'll upgrade to the newest MBP and I can't wait!!

15. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I bought a sealed 15" i5 2.4GHz off of ebay a few weeks ago for $1445. So far, it's been great, and I have no complaints.

16. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

buying big purchases like macs on eBay is never a good idea.