ebook reader

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lacrosseboss18, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Lacrosseboss18 macrumors newbie

Im looking for an Ebook reader to help organize my PDF files (books) on my Mac. I was wondering what everyone else uses/ recommends. Im mainly would be using this for medical books. It would be nice to put in a term and be able to search all the books. It would also be nice to separate the books according to topic or look at them all as one big group. The later two requirements aren't extremely important, would just be nice.

2. castillo4141 macrumors member

Perhaps you could try the Preview app that comes with every Mac, you can check some YouTube videos or use the help option in the menus to learn the basics, you can highlight, write notes, put bookmarks, you can even put your signature in the documents with Lion, is pretty neat, you should give it a try.

3. Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

4. Abby21 macrumors member

Ebook reader to help organize my PDF files (books) on my Mac?
    I think you need a PDF tool, that can let you organize.
    But you need a great ebook reader that can search all the medical books for you.
    Is this one you need? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stanza/id284956128?mt=8

5. Lacrosseboss18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the great info

Also is there a way to get ibook on the mac? I really like how simple it is without all the extras that a lot of the other put into their readers.

6. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Not really sure if this fits what you are looking for, but for manually organizing and converting e-books I use Calibre. It's free and is found here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

7. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

I just got Calibre and tried to convert a CHM file to EPUB so I could read it on my iPad.

The CHM has tons of pages (textbook) and is about 23mb. When I convert the CHM in Calibre the output EPUB file is only 40kb and all it has is the table of contents...and they don't link to anything.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Calibre downloaded all the Metadata and cover art for the book from Amazon just fine.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

9. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

I think the issue is CHM to EPUB alone is messy. Apparently CHM to HTML THEN EPUB is the way to go....hopefully this works or I'll have to use CHMate on my iPad to view this stuff.

10. molala macrumors 6502a