eBooks: Best way to read eBooks on the iPod Touch? How to do it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MacNoobGuy, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

hey guys, i was just wondering the best way to read ebooks on the ipod touch. what program should i use and is there a format specifically designed for the iPod Touch? i'd like to try some pdfs.

thanks a lot, i'd appreciate any help!

2. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

ok i just downloaded an ebook from itunes and i checked and it's in .epub format. does this mean all .epub books will work well on the ipod touch?

thanks

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It all depends on where you purchase your e-books. There are different readers for the e-book formats. I own an original Kindle so I primarily use the free kindle reader app on my iPod Touch.

4. racasper macrumors newbie

I use the iBooks app for reading PDF files. I works pretty well, although you do have to zoom in pan around to read it, depending on how the page was formatted. The limitation is the small screen and making the text big enough to read. You add PDFs through iTunes, and they appear as a "collection" on your shelf in iBooks. One collection for books, and one for PDF.

The .epub books are better for the small screen because the text flows to fit the screen. Also you can change the text size. So epub works more like a web page, where the column size changes to adapt when you resize a browser window.

I have the Kindle app too, which I just use for ebooks that I buy on Amazon. The others go into iBooks.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

Tip for .pdf files

OP you should try Calibre. Its a free app for OS X that converts .pdf to .epub. Its frequently updated too. I have used it to convert many .pdf books to .epub. Then just import the epub to iTunes and use iBooks to read it ;).

http://calibre-ebook.com/

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. adamlee macrumors newbie

I used to use eReader which was very handy. I don't believe its still available on iTunes unfortunately. iBooks works wonders with .epub files though.