Ebooks - Devil or Angel?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by markel253, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

bound books of the past will always be cherished items.

Bound books in today's society are made as cheaply as possible with bright colors and in random and sometimes hard to carry sizes.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my Kindle and all the books I have on it. I don't need to feel a spine or smell that almost-disgusting paper smell to enjoy a good book.

Long live the eBook!

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Is this the new "why can't I just order a regular cup of coffee at Starbuck's" nostalgia rant?

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

[​IMG]
    This li'l guy might want to have a word with you. :D

4. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I never understood that because YOU CAN and I DO all the time. Don't always want a quad shot venti tuxedo mocha w/skim milk and whip.. lol

5. nmills macrumors regular

Ditto. I did very much enjoy the physical book, turning the page, the smell, all that. Now that I have my Kindle, reading a physical book is strange and awkward. :D

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If I buy books now, I look for ebooks rather than paper books.

7. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I never liked books (physically). You have to have the right lighting to see them, and they're liable to flip closed, and you have to use a bookmark. Reading on an iPad is much better.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

In general I prefer eBooks because of the convenience. But I still love physical books and traditional bookstores.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I love books. I love having them around the house but I love the convenience and clutter-free idea of eBooks. Nowadays, if I go to a bookstore and find a book, the first thing I do is check the price elsewhere then look for the eBook.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

Nothing beats Larry David's reaction on being confronted with Starbuck's goofy ordering protocol: "just give me a large vanilla bull##it."

11. Lady Arwen macrumors member

I love books. I love the smell, the feel, the purpose, everything. I own 700-800 books. However, I'm going to college. Can't take them with me, and I honestly don't want to. Ebooks are an imperfect solution until I have my own place (which could be almost 8 years from now since I'll probably go to grad school, too).

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Agreed.

The only bound books worth having are antiques or rares. The printing process these days doesn't really have anything but a cheap mass produced feel to it, even in hard cover versions.

Plus I really hate using paper. It's not that I am hippy and want to save the trees (humans will die off long before they all do anyway), it's that I find it absurd with all the technology we have today that we still need to use paper. It is just so anti-technology.

13. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I went on a tour of Rufus King's manor in Jamaica, NY (he was a state signatory on the US Constitution). Apparently he was a big reader and we saw his library, which had hundreds, perhaps thousands of books.

The curator showed us one of the books, and noted that all of his books were bound to his specification, because he had to buy the print and then have the pages finished and bound.

Seeing this flicked that switch in my head: We shouldn't think that eBooks are worth much less than physical books. We should appreciate that the words, sentences and paragraphs are what have value to us. I know this is probably something that most of you already believe, but for me, it was kind of an epiphany.

I think that book publishers in general are avoiding the mistakes of the Music industry, and I find that really encouraging.

Oh yeah, the Nook Color that I'm currently using is getting lots of reading time on it right now and eBooks are brilliant to me.

Before anyone says - I know, Cool story Bro...