ebooks

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shk718, Jun 27, 2007.

1. shk718 macrumors 65816

i currently read most books on my black jack - i'd love for them to come out with an e-book reader - i bet reading on the iPhone would be awsome - nice big clear screen.

2. aria505 macrumors member

Where do you get your ebooks from? What file format are they in?

3. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

mobipocket.com and the free reader can read any free (or purchased from mobipocket) .PDB file.

i just found an interesting sight:

http://www.ambience.sk/ipod-ebook-creator/ipod-book-notes-text-conversion.php

it converts any text file into iPod "notes" which you can read on your iPod. iPod notes actually have some HTML in them so it can link separate notes together - so its almost like reading an ebook on your ipod. That sight splits up the ebook into linked notes that you can put on your iPod. And this sight offers free ebooks that you can either read on your iPod or using mobipocket:

http://manybooks.net/

I hope this still works on the iPhone - it's screen would be perfect for reading books. its uselsess on my nano ;)

I hope this helps you. i much prefer this that lugging around a book.

4. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Online Books

Did you ever try SafariBooksOnline? It's online books by O'Riley... I have access through work and my local public library, but I think using it and the Safari browser on the iPhone will be a killer app for me.

5. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

theres a easy solution to this

when you get the ebook it should be in a pdf file
    Now the iphone can read pdf's that are sent in emails.

so if you send the ebook as a pdf to yourself from your computer you can view it on your iphone

6. debjgee macrumors newbie

An actual ebook on my iPhone

I purchased an ebook using my iPhone yesterday and it worked seamlessly. I took some pics of it and sent them to the author...who subsequently wrote a blog about it. You can check his blog out at:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...n=C44F1873-2282-43B1-A1B2FC03DCB8F78642183509

I didn't need to email myself the pdf in order to read it--it opened with Safari on the iPhone and reads great.

7. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

where did you buy it from?

8. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

i found this free program that provides an interesting way to read ebooks . it basically turns an ebook into a series of pictures - so reading is like flipping a page in a real book. the only problem is it doesn't remember which "page" your on. and the file sizes are rather large - 30 to 100mb. its calle raster book - here is the link: http://a-i-studio.com/rasterbook/

9. EclipseEmpire macrumors newbie

EclipseEmpire

I came across a program that can convert .doc, .xls, .rtf, .txt, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .pdf, or .html files into "Data URL" bookmarks. You can save files to your iPhone as Safari Bookmarks. Here is a link :

http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51

I have converted a 400+ page PDF file, and was able to pull it up while in airplane mode.

Great program!

10. SiLeNtKiLLa macrumors member

Man...looks like an great tool...too bad not for PC. Or better yet, would you mine converting an 26pg pdf for me if I email it too you, and then send me what ever I need to get it to my iphone after the conversion??

11. EclipseEmpire macrumors newbie

EclipseEmpire

I sent you a PM with some info.

12. SiLeNtKiLLa macrumors member

Thanks, Email sent.... I tried to send .pdf, but was kicked back as too big, sent rapidshare link instead.

Aw you know what..... its a 16mb file, 320 pgs.....if too much, let me know....sorry for the mis-info

13. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

Dang i whish that worked on a PC.

14. koollectablz macrumors 6502

So, you've revived a 2 year old thread just to reply in the negative.

15. JollyRogers macrumors regular

16. Cointreau macrumors member

Stanza rocks.
    Even my .LIT files work in Stanza.
    Great ebook app!

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

18. manishrathod310 macrumors newbie

plrprivatelabelrights.com

I came across a program that can convert .doc, .xls, .rtf, .txt, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .pdf, or .html files into "Data URL" bookmarks. You can save files to your iPhone as Safari Bookmarks.

plrprivatelabelrights.com

19. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

[​IMG]