Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The European Commission has fined Facebook $122 million for misleading regulators over its 2014 acquisition of WhatsApp. The announcement came on Thursday in a press release in which the Commission said that the social media company had provided "incorrect or misleading information" when it told regulators that it would be unable to link the profiles of users on WhatsApp and Facebook.

However, WhatsApp announced in 2016 that it would start sharing some user data, including phone numbers, with Facebook, contradicting the earlier claim. In its press release, the Commission said that Facebook knew the data crossover was technically feasible in 2014 when it bought WhatsApp for $22 billion, but that it had stated otherwise when asked by merger regulators.

WhatsApp_facebook.jpg
"When Facebook notified the acquisition of WhatsApp in 2014, it informed the Commission that it would be unable to establish reliable automated matching between Facebook users' accounts and WhatsApp users' accounts. It stated this both in the notification form and in a reply to a request of information from the Commission. However, in August 2016, WhatsApp announced updates to its terms of service and privacy policy, including the possibility of linking WhatsApp users' phone numbers with Facebook users' identities.

The Commission has found that, contrary to Facebook's statements in the 2014 merger review process, the technical possibility of automatically matching Facebook and WhatsApp users' identities already existed in 2014, and that Facebook staff were aware of such a possibility."
The ruling by the Commission will not have any impact on its decision to rubber stamp the acquisition, and remains separate from data protection investigations that are currently ongoing, the EC explained in the press release. The separate investigations involve historical data collection of WhatsApp users in Germany, the U.K., and Italy. Commissioner Margrethe Vestager, in charge of competition policy, said:
"Today's decision sends a clear signal to companies that they must comply with all aspects of EU merger rules, including the obligation to provide correct information. And it imposes a proportionate and deterrent fine on Facebook. The Commission must be able to take decisions about mergers' effects on competition in full knowledge of accurate facts."
Facebook responded to the decision in a statement published on its website on Thursday. The company said it had "acted in good faith" during its communications with the EC, and claimed that it had attempted to provide "accurate information at every turn".

"The errors we made in our 2014 filings were not intentional and the Commission has confirmed that they did not impact the outcome of the merger review," the statement reads. "Today's announcement brings this matter to a close."

Article Link: Facebook Fined $122 Million for Misleading EU Regulators Over WhatsApp Deal

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
That lying Zuckerberg. I deleted Facebook years ago. It's sick having read clickbait all day. Unoriginal content and people complaining or pretending.

Instagram is good for prostitutes to advertise the "product". Post a bikini pic and thousands of orbiters will like.
At least there's more original content and pics. People don't want to read poems!

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
122 millions is not enough. Lying is in the DNA of Facebook. It has even been admitted by Zuckerberg once during a shareholders reunion ( and there's a transcript of that on the net) that he believes "privacy is a thing of the past" and his strategy will be to break privacy promises as often as possible, because of you're caught you can just say "Sorry, i won't do it again", and people will forget about it after a while, then you can do it again.

Facebook thinks it's too big to fail, therefore there is no reason for them not to break as many laws as they can.

122 millions is like a drop on the ocean. Facebook WILL do it again.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Those of us who adopted WhatsApp early on remember the developer's messages about how they won't change and will protect our privacy. I suppose all those staff members are gone now.

Now is the time to find a replacement. Anyone know a good replacement that is not connected to any big social media companies and offers secure communications?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
"We want a pile of money from Facebook... This high!"

It should've been way higher, if it's to make any difference.

Not sure if you were playing a joke along the lines of "the greedy and lazy EU commies just want all the brilliant and hardworking entrepreneurs' money".

Reactions: Onexy

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Those of us who adopted WhatsApp early on remember the developer's messages about how they won't change and will protect our privacy. I suppose all those staff members are gone now.

Now is the time to find a replacement. Anyone know a good replacement that is not connected to any big social media companies and offers secure communications?
iMessage?

Reactions: AbblePC

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Not sure if you were playing a joke along the lines of "the greedy and lazy EU commies just want all the brilliant and hardworking entrepreneurs' money".
Not at all. I have quite the respect for the work they are doing. Margrethe Vestager has been quite successfull in her job IMHO, and I agree, the fine should have been much higher.

Reactions: Fzang

marioguarneros

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
It's sick having read clickbait all day. Unoriginal content and people complaining or pretending.

The content is not Facebook's problem, you see what your friends post. Maybe you should change friends.
[doublepost=1495106387][/doublepost]

I remember Telegram was supposed to be the best alternative but at least in my network it didn't take off, not that I'm considering leaving What's app though.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
122 millions is not enough. Lying is in the DNA of Facebook. It has even been admitted by Zuckerberg once during a shareholders reunion ( and there's a transcript of that on the net) that he believes "privacy is a thing of the past" and his strategy will be to break privacy promises as often as possible, because of you're caught you can just say "Sorry, i won't do it again", and people will forget about it after a while, then you can do it again.

Facebook thinks it's too big to fail, therefore there is no reason for them not to break as many laws as they can.

122 millions is like a drop on the ocean. Facebook WILL do it again.
Sorry, but I simply cannot read/listen/watch anything that Zuckerberg says anymore.

I think he truly believes he is the new messiah.
[doublepost=1495107747][/doublepost]

Telegram.

I moved over the day it was announced that FB had invaded Whatsapp and recently, so have a lot of my friends and all my family. It's been several steps ahead in functionality for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: miknos

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Small fine but I feel like the EU follows up on **** like this. when buyouts / mergers happen in USA, once it's approved by FTC, everyone forgets all of the promises that were made.

jef82

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011

Signal is a good alternative :)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I remember Telegram was supposed to be the best alternative but at least in my network it didn't take off, not that I'm considering leaving What's app though.

Agreed, and last year I was able to convince my family to switch to it. My office tried slack, hangouts, and then I suggested Telegram - they all love it. So I've got a pretty big group using Telegram - I like it - it's only had one 2 hour outage for me and pictures/videos don't load as fast as they used to. What makes it great - it's cross platform. Android, Mac, Windows, Chrome, iPhone, etc... Very few messengers have desktop apps anymore.

Sadly, almost everyone I meet (not in my family/work circle) prefers Facebook Messenger or GroupMe or something like that. WhatsApp has/had? a big following in Europe and South America.

Don't get me started on why Google decided to kill Hangouts - used that for years and years (from Google Talk). :( Allo has no desktop replacement... WTF?!

How many of us, if we were in the shoes of WhatsApp's original owners, would turn down that $$$? I imagine it's a lot easier said than done.

I can't stand Facebook.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012

http://www.guidingtech.com/64817/secure-whatsapp-alternatives/

(says Signal, WikrMe, Telegram in that order...as an FYI there has been alot of criticism regarding Telegram's security)

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I don't know. I never checked.

Sorry, I should have checked instead of asking, lol. Looks like it doesn't yet --- but for most people that's cool. For me that's the only thing I have against signal. I have to have a desktop app. Isn't Google's Allo using the Whisper system that Signal uses? I forget... Signal kinda started all of the requirements of privacy in messengers.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Sorry, I should have checked instead of asking, lol. Looks like it doesn't yet --- but for most people that's cool. For me that's the only thing I have against signal. I have to have a desktop app. Isn't Google's Allo using the Whisper system that Signal uses? I forget... Signal kinda started all of the requirements of privacy in messengers.

Signal has a desktop app. You have to install it using the Chrome web App Store.

https://support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/214507138-How-do-I-install-Signal-Desktop-

I didn't like the Signal desktop app at all, but it does exist. I just use Telegram as it's available on pretty much every platform and it seems to work well.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.