Facebook Fined $122 Million for Misleading EU Regulators Over WhatsApp Deal

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The European Commission has fined Facebook $122 million for misleading regulators over its 2014 acquisition of WhatsApp. The announcement came on Thursday in a press release in which the Commission said that the social media company had provided "incorrect or misleading information" when it told regulators that it would be unable to link the profiles of users on WhatsApp and Facebook.

However, WhatsApp announced in 2016 that it would start sharing some user data, including phone numbers, with Facebook, contradicting the earlier claim. In its press release, the Commission said that Facebook knew the data crossover was technically feasible in 2014 when it bought WhatsApp for $22 billion, but that it had stated otherwise when asked by merger regulators.

[​IMG]
    The ruling by the Commission will not have any impact on its decision to rubber stamp the acquisition, and remains separate from data protection investigations that are currently ongoing, the EC explained in the press release. The separate investigations involve historical data collection of WhatsApp users in Germany, the U.K., and Italy. Commissioner Margrethe Vestager, in charge of competition policy, said:
    Facebook responded to the decision in a statement published on its website on Thursday. The company said it had "acted in good faith" during its communications with the EC, and claimed that it had attempted to provide "accurate information at every turn".

"The errors we made in our 2014 filings were not intentional and the Commission has confirmed that they did not impact the outcome of the merger review," the statement reads. "Today's announcement brings this matter to a close."

Article Link: Facebook Fined $122 Million for Misleading EU Regulators Over WhatsApp Deal

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

"We want a pile of money from Facebook... This high!"

[​IMG]

3. miknos Suspended

miknos

That lying Zuckerberg. I deleted Facebook years ago. It's sick having read clickbait all day. Unoriginal content and people complaining or pretending.

Instagram is good for prostitutes to advertise the "product". Post a bikini pic and thousands of orbiters will like.
    At least there's more original content and pics. People don't want to read poems!

4. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins

Social media term should be illegal because it is ****ing ******** and so are all those "companies". **** them.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Whatever hits Facebook, I'm all for it. Facebook has become a major radicalism vector in emerging markets, and Facebook turned a blind eye. Facebook wants to the "Internet", yet they don't want to take the responsibility.

6. Nozuka macrumors 68000

122 million is nothing compared to the 22 billion they bought it for....

calculated risk? in the end they still got what they wanted.

7. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

122 millions is not enough. Lying is in the DNA of Facebook. It has even been admitted by Zuckerberg once during a shareholders reunion ( and there's a transcript of that on the net) that he believes "privacy is a thing of the past" and his strategy will be to break privacy promises as often as possible, because of you're caught you can just say "Sorry, i won't do it again", and people will forget about it after a while, then you can do it again.

Facebook thinks it's too big to fail, therefore there is no reason for them not to break as many laws as they can.

122 millions is like a drop on the ocean. Facebook WILL do it again.

8. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

Those of us who adopted WhatsApp early on remember the developer's messages about how they won't change and will protect our privacy. I suppose all those staff members are gone now.

Now is the time to find a replacement. Anyone know a good replacement that is not connected to any big social media companies and offers secure communications?

9. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

It should've been way higher, if it's to make any difference.

Not sure if you were playing a joke along the lines of "the greedy and lazy EU commies just want all the brilliant and hardworking entrepreneurs' money".

10. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

iMessage?

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Not at all. I have quite the respect for the work they are doing. Margrethe Vestager has been quite successfull in her job IMHO, and I agree, the fine should have been much higher.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

122 million? Chump change and does nothing to deter other companies from doing the same. Facebook chalks this paltry amount up as the cost of doing business. In 2016 they had revenue of 27 billion, so that 122 million is only 0.0452% of that 27 billion.

13. marioguarneros macrumors regular

marioguarneros

The content is not Facebook's problem, you see what your friends post. Maybe you should change friends.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2017 ---
    I remember Telegram was supposed to be the best alternative but at least in my network it didn't take off, not that I'm considering leaving What's app though.

14. WBRacing, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017

WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Sorry, but I simply cannot read/listen/watch anything that Zuckerberg says anymore.

I think he truly believes he is the new messiah.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2017 ---
    Telegram.

I moved over the day it was announced that FB had invaded Whatsapp and recently, so have a lot of my friends and all my family. It's been several steps ahead in functionality for years.

15. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Small fine but I feel like the EU follows up on **** like this. when buyouts / mergers happen in USA, once it's approved by FTC, everyone forgets all of the promises that were made.

16. jef82 macrumors member

Signal is a good alternative :)

17. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Wow, I'm sure that'll show them!

What a joke...

Glassed Silver:ios

18. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed, and last year I was able to convince my family to switch to it. My office tried slack, hangouts, and then I suggested Telegram - they all love it. So I've got a pretty big group using Telegram - I like it - it's only had one 2 hour outage for me and pictures/videos don't load as fast as they used to. What makes it great - it's cross platform. Android, Mac, Windows, Chrome, iPhone, etc... Very few messengers have desktop apps anymore.

Sadly, almost everyone I meet (not in my family/work circle) prefers Facebook Messenger or GroupMe or something like that. WhatsApp has/had? a big following in Europe and South America.

Don't get me started on why Google decided to kill Hangouts - used that for years and years (from Google Talk). :( Allo has no desktop replacement... WTF?!

How many of us, if we were in the shoes of WhatsApp's original owners, would turn down that $$$? I imagine it's a lot easier said than done.

I can't stand Facebook.

19. Sasparilla, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017

Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

http://www.guidingtech.com/64817/secure-whatsapp-alternatives/

(says Signal, WikrMe, Telegram in that order...as an FYI there has been alot of criticism regarding Telegram's security)

20. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

Signal

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Does Signal have a desktop app?

22. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

I don't know. I never checked.

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Sorry, I should have checked instead of asking, lol. Looks like it doesn't yet --- but for most people that's cool. For me that's the only thing I have against signal. I have to have a desktop app. Isn't Google's Allo using the Whisper system that Signal uses? I forget... Signal kinda started all of the requirements of privacy in messengers.

24. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Signal has a desktop app. You have to install it using the Chrome web App Store.

https://support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/214507138-How-do-I-install-Signal-Desktop-

I didn't like the Signal desktop app at all, but it does exist. I just use Telegram as it's available on pretty much every platform and it seems to work well.

25. bmot macrumors member

Lie wherever you feel like with your ridiculous attitude of a billion $ company.