ECC memory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OrangeSVTguy, Nov 9, 2007.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i was just wondering about that. i pulled a 128mb pc133 stick out of a dell server and put in my g4 sawtooth. does ECC registered memory slow down a mac or is it faster? i don't know the difference between the 2. i've had it in my system for a few weeks now without any problems. thanks

2. luffx macrumors regular

ECC is slower, due to the test circuitry. idk what the % is. I've heard 3% & 10%. :confused:

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well the ECC part of the ram would not function in a G4 system. I am amazed in runs at all. As the Logicboard has to support it

4. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

cool thanks for your help. i just have 4 128mb sticks in there now and one of them is ECC. i was just kinda shocked that the mac would see it though. i'm looking for 4 512mbs though.

added:
    [​IMG]

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

So much for not mixing memory. ;) Aside from the PC133/100 and ECC/non difference, are those different CAS latencies there too?

6. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

yeah i just about got every type of variety of memory in my system. that will change as i get more. but just wanted to know about the ECC. my computer seems to see it so i was just wondering if it was good or not and not slow or fast. thanks for everyone's help.