ECG Less Reliable With Metal Bands?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CouponPages, Dec 7, 2018.

1. CouponPages macrumors regular

CouponPages

The main reason I moved to the new Series 4 was to get the ECG feature. I already get a ton of fast heart rate alerts, so it would be great to not only know if it's faster than normal, but irregular.

The first time I tried the ECG, it said "Inconclusive", so I tried it again... and again, then waited an hour or so and at least a dozen times later I started wondering if it has something to do with the way the signal is supposed to travel vs the path when wearing a metal band, so I took it off and viola "Sinus Rhythm".

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but I've never had a good reading with the stainless steel Milanese Loop, and just about every reading with the fabric Nike Sport Loop has worked.

I've also modified how I place my finger so that it only touches the button and not my wrist (closing the connection).

Anybody else have this problem?

2. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I have a Milanese band....no issues taking ECGs.

3. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

4. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

You need to have your arm resting on a table or on your lap.

5. hull22 macrumors member

hull22

Shouldn't an issue unless you're touching the metal band and the crown at the same time with the other hand.

6. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

I have a Milanese Koop and got good readings yesterday.

7. CouponPages thread starter macrumors regular

CouponPages

I think that's the problem. I'm going to tinker with hand placement. Perhaps one of my fingers tends to touch the band and that's a factor. For now, I'm using the Nike Sport loop.

Somebody mentioned that another possible reason is an elevated heart rate. If that's the case, the ECG App should abort the test and ask you to try when you are less active.

It's hard for me to do that; my heart rate is hovers at 100 most of the day.