ECG - Test in store?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zmon, Dec 14, 2018.

1. zmon macrumors regular

zmon

Hey all, I've been looking at picking up an AW again. Had an S3 last year that I ended up giving to a relative recently, figured I'd take a look at the S4. It'd be nice to be able to play with the ECG feature first though, curious if it works on the demo units Apple has in their stores?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would think it works just fine. Just tell the Geek what you want to do and he/she will set it up.

3. hull22, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

hull22 macrumors member

Are you a young healthy person? If so, you probably will not benefit much from the ECG feature.

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

So the 35yo said before he collapsed with Afib.
    Don't let youth fool one into thinking they are 100% OK.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

People are born with Afib.

6. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

I found it only works if my arm is on a table. NO movement----

And, gently touch the crown

7. The Oak macrumors regular

For EKG ... would it have to be paired with an iPhone first ... and then give permission for health data stuff?

I guess if it did work ... folks could just once a month "visit" the Apple store and get a reading for a simple check up.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Not that careful, but does need to be very still.
    I have managed standing up, but as you expect not easy.

I push more on crown, AND have strap snug, almost tight (but not uncomfortable).

You can see pulse on AW, but cannot save it. I also expect it is paired with store device, so cannot repair to your phone.
    AND (IIRC), it asks for your age as part of setup.

9. hull22 macrumors member

I'm sorry that is utterly ridiculous. People are not "born" with afib.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You SHOULD be sorry as many people are born with heart defects and can go for years and years before it is found. These defects are well know to cause Afib at birth or shortly after depending on the defect. Most have no idea they have Afib unless they were checked.

You need to do a bit of homework before you just jump in and claim another is wrong.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 20, 2018 ---
    Same here. Do not need to tighten the watch or push hard on the crown. Just rest both arms on a table in front of you while sitting and gently push the crown. Any arm movement will show on the graph.

11. hull22, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

hull22 macrumors member

Excuse me Newtons Apple. I've #%#% done my research. I'm a Board Certified Cardiologist. Less than 1% of people who have afib are less than 60. What percent do you think are born with it? How many people with are born with congenital heart defects that cause afib do you think are undiagnosed? You better studied up better before you go laying into someone.

You completely miss the point of the Apple Watch EKG feature. It is to help diagnose those with atrial fibrillation and hopefully result in significant benefits in long term. Those most are risk of complications are those over 60yo, and in particular those over 75yo who have a higher stroke risk. The benefit of diagnosing the rare 30yo with "lone afib" is much less. These patients are not the ones needing to take anticoagulants.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just Googled it. Congenital heart defects can cause Afib at birth. Maybe you should take a “refresher course”.

13. GDF macrumors 6502

That is a great reply and so true. Don't pay attention to Newton's Apple - he has no clue and guess what Newton's Apple, not everything you read on Google or on the internet is true. Funny, how a lot of people think they are an expert, just because they google it. But, I would trust a Board Cardiologist.... :)

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would not trust Google either until is see multiple sites that indicate that congenital heart defects can cause Afib in babies. Does not matter if you believe at all. If agree that everything you read on the Internet is not true but when multiple sites including some of the best hospitals on earth say it is so, I tend to think there is some validity.

Any you, defending someone you do not know who “claimed” to be a cardiologist. Have you Googled, or Binged, congenital Afib? I bet not.

15. GDF macrumors 6502

Whatever you, as you definitely have no clue. ECG has already saved peoples lives who had no idea they had the condition. You said above you googled it, so just stating what you said. Annyoying, when anyone on the internet hides behinds, but never say anything in public to someones face. Everyone's an expert on the internet.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

In full agreement that it will save lives. If you go back to what I have written you would think you copied it.

17. Plett macrumors regular

Plett

Umm you aren't a Cardiologist, a Cardiologist wouldn't engage in this type of argument with us dullards. I have spent time with intelligent folks and they tend to be measured in their approach when dealing with us simpletons.

18. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

Isn't this a discussion on testing the ECG function while in the store? How did it degenerate into an argument about who's the authority on AFIB? Moderators, time to close this thread and give a couple people a hug; they need it.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Try this, thumb on opposite side of watch as you touch the crown firmly.
    Experimenting with holding watch, learn what works best.

20. Pseudo-Fed, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018

Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502