Original poster
May 13, 2008
So does anyone know if running a ECG will be possible on a UK phone

Can we change it to US and make it work

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
It's not a phone feature, it's a watch feature. You will need to install an app anyway and it's not out in the US yet.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
No one will know this until Apple release the ECG app later.

We don’t know yet if it will be a stand-alone app that needs to be downloaded (and will be region locked to certain stores), or if it will be part of an OS update, but “concealed” depending on what region you are in like the News & TV apps we’re on iOS.

Broken Hope

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2015
The hardware is there as the ifixit tear down is the UK model, just depends if the UK will approve the feature then Apple can activate it.

Davelfc

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
If the ECG app is likely to increase the number of people wanting to seek medical attention then there's a decent chance it will never be accepted in the UK. The NHS is overworked, underfunded and too management/admin staff heavy to code with increases.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
We don’t know yet if it will be a stand-alone app that needs to be downloaded (and will be region locked to certain stores), or if it will be part of an OS update
It's actually listed as an "ECG app coming later this year" on the Apple website, but I agree we don't know what that means exactly.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
If the ECG app is likely to increase the number of people wanting to seek medical attention then there's a decent chance it will never be accepted in the UK. The NHS is overworked, underfunded and too management/admin staff heavy to code with increases.
I don’t think that the UK/EU will withhold features because of resourcing restrictions. There are already ECG devices in these regions that have passed the regulatory testing. Apple just need European clearance and under that umbrella can launch the feature in the UK.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I don’t think that the UK/EU will withhold features because of resourcing restrictions. There are already ECG devices in these regions that have passed the regulatory testing. Apple just need European clearance and under that umbrella can launch the feature in the UK.
Assuming it arrives before brexit. My money is on never seeing the ECG feature, but I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.