Echo 15 Thunderbolt Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sfwalter, Apr 3, 2013.

1. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

2. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

3. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Pretty impressive. It looks like the eSATA ports support port multiplier since it states it supports "multi-drive storage systems" which is very important to me. I also like that it can house a 3.5" drive as well. I would have liked to have seen a couple DVI/HDMI ports on it as well, but overall I am pretty impressed. Base price is $400 which is a little rough, but I might pick one up.

Edit: Just wish it was silver and not black.

----------

Problem with that one, is that it only works with the rMBP and only this particular chasis. What happens if Apple changes the design of the rMBP?

5. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

6. utekineir macrumors 6502

eta: right around the time you're looking for an upgrade.

i'd prefer something that stays useful for multiple machines.

7. theluggage, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

theluggage macrumors 68030

Sadly, that seems to be a limitation of Thunderbolt: only one display device per peripheral - and that includes driving a legacy device through the Thunderbolt-out socket.

So they could put DVI/HDMI on, like Matrox did with their dock, but then you wouldn't be able to hang a DisplayPort monitor off the TB-out socket (the Matrox dock doesn't have TB-out).

It wouldn't be so bad if they could make it switchable between HDMI/DVI and DisplayPort-via-Thunderbolt - you couldn't run two legacy monitors at once but you could plug in one Apple TB display and one legacy monitor. You could also use a cheapskate TB device that didn't daisy chain without losing your display output. However, since both Matrox and Belkin have barfed on that I guess it isn't easy.

If it were possible, it would be better to provide a second Mini DisplayPort since there are affordable adapters from that to HDMI, DVI, full DisplayPort and VGA.

That aside, they should offer a BluRay writer version (If you're spending $400 on a dock why pinch pennies?) and a no-optical version that could take a second 2.5" HD in the optical slot.