Echo during calls? Network connection or phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Sep 26, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

I was calling my friend and I kept hearing my own voice like an echo but I don't know I don't think it always did this. Is it my phone?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have noticed this as well on occasions. Not sure what the cause is.

3. randymac88 macrumors regular

i've noticed this, but not sure it's the exact same problem. but from what i've found, it's caused by your volume being too high, or the person you're talking to's volume being too high. When you talk, the volume is up so that their microphone is picking up your voice, and sending it back to you (delayed). This causes an echo. If you turn the volume down (or if they turn it down), it helps. The iphone's design for whatever reason makes this prone to happen.

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

hmm it makes sense that volume for other person is high volume. Cause the new iPhones are loud as hell my friends can literally hear other person talking to me

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Two possibilities. First, are you on Bluetooth, or is the other person on Bluetooth? SOME bluetooth headsets are rather compact and unfortunately, aren't good at filtering out their own feedback. This can cause echo.

The other possibilities is the network. Each line on the network has an echo canceller that is supposed to suppress echo caused by a compression delay in digital cell networks. If the echo canceller isn't working, you'll hear yourself in echo. For this you need to call 611 to get it fixed.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Whenever I call my mom on Verizon I get terrible Echo. And only her.

7. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

mine echoed only once, then the problem hasn't showed up since

8. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Echo is pretty common especially in areas of poor reception where the delay is pretty bad and you just hear message being received on the other end and the other user has their volume too high.

Basically, its a network thing.

9. Amt macrumors regular

10. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

it was cause of first reason. His speaker was to high on his iPhone