Echofon vs Twitter app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mattdo93, Jul 22, 2011.

?

Echofon vs Twitter?

1. Echofon

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Twitter

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Which one do you guys use? I just made a twitter and these 2 seem to be the top ones in the App store :D

2. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Twitter but tweetbot is the best imo, check it out.

3. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Isn't Tweetbot running some beta tests with Push Notifications?

4. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

5. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

I'm using the original twitter app. Don't trust these Third-Party-Apps ;)

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I use Tweetbot as well. Definitely the best third party Twitter app in the App Store. But between the Official Twitter app and Echofon, I would give the nod to Twitter.

7. lexvo macrumors 65816

I downloaded the official Twitter app lately (version 3.3.5) and it seemed buggy to me:
    - not all tweets were shown in the timeline (on internet and in Twitterrific I could see them all)
    - it takes a long time before user setting were synchronized
    - it crashed within a day
    - it showed a white screen on some occassions
    - all in all it felt a bit laggy

Is this something in this version 3.3.5? Or just a one-off? I have a complete standard iPhone 4.

I downloaded Twitterrific instead and that works perfect and fast.

8. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I've tried out both apps and Echofon works better for me. I don't need to tap the tweet to go to any special links like in the official Twitter app, and the official one crashes every time I go to my profile.

9. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

That IS a third party app. It used to be called Tweetie. It IS a third party app.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Tweetbot. Tapbots makes high quality apps all the way around: Interface, usability, functionality.

11. allisfair macrumors member

i prefer echofon myself.

i like that i can click on a link in the stream and have the read sync w/ firefox.

12. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

It WAS a third party app, but then it was purchased by Twitter and the developer was hired to maintain it. That makes it now the official Twitter app.
    I used to use Echofon, but I like the official app better. It feels nicer and more refined. I am a casual twitter user, though.

13. lexvo macrumors 65816

Recently I tried Twitter for Iphone, Twitterrific and Echofon. IMO, Echofon is the best of the three.

But now I got Tweetlogix and this app has the best of the three apps mentioned before and more! Also has a good UI.

Tweetlogix doesn't have native push however, but I'm one of the few people who don't care much about that :)

14. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

The twitter app has a few quirks I don't like. The most irritating issue to me: you can't retweet and comment. You can "quote" and comment but it's not the same as a retweet w/ comment. Trust me, I want to use the twitter zoo but that one small thing bothers me.

15. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Tweetbot. Push is available to everyone now.

/thread

16. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

It would be the OFFICIAL Twitter app if Twitter had made it and developed it. There's a difference.

17. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

18. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

So now that Google has bought Motorola, to use the analogy here, would Motorola now be the "official" Android handset?

19. kayloh20 macrumors regular

So the real question is whether the developer was hired as an employee or consultant. And if so, did he redo the application? If he wrote it back from scratch while being employed under Twitter, then it's an official Twitter application regardless of Tweetie in the past. And if he reused it but still is an employee, does that make the iPhone/iPod touch version third party while the iPad portion is official Twitter?

Anyway, back to the topic, I tried both and I prefer the <insert whatever term you use for the Twitter-[insert approved, official, etc.] application you know I'm talking about>. Don't get me wrong. Both applications are great, so in the end it came down to aesthetics in terms of an icon that looks Twitter-official and how it says Twitter everywhere instead of something like Echophon or Twitterific.