Eclipse 2017

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've thought about heading down to somewhere in Western KY-most likely Land Between the Lakes. Whether or not I feel like I can take off work, and of course the weather on the day, will govern that decision

Reactions: A.Goldberg

jeyf

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2009
there was a interesting PBS radio presentation on the eclipse 080417

i tried to find a link to this show but taking more time than expected this morning.
here is somethings close:
https://www.sciencefriday.com/?s=eclipse

Main unanswered question is; The sun surface temperature is hot but the outer corona is an order of magnitude hotter. Corona hot gases held in place by the sun's magnetic field? Useful for fusion technology dev.
-there is a long delay time in sending a space craft to the sun. Sensor technology during the delay has improved, changed. If scientists monitor the eclipse event from earth they will have access to the latest sensor technology.
-There is a active space craft in flight to approach the sun ~2018.

whatever...

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
I have family in Portland who will be able to see the full eclipse. Wish I could head out to Oregon to see it, but in all likelihood I will be staying here and seeing another boring partial like I did in 2011 :p

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
USA
I've thought about heading down to somewhere in Western KY-most likely Land Between the Lakes. Whether or not I feel like I can take off work, and of course the weather on the day, will govern that decision
All motels are sold out in KY, I work up there...

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Unfortunately here in the Northeast we're only going to get a partial.

I'd love to see the Total Eclipse of the Heart Sun

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
It was nice where I was but it just didn't get as dark as I thought it would.
Same here. It was cloudy. I'm thinking that reflected more light, oddly enough.

Even within the path of totality, the TV coverage revealed light in Carbondale and Nashville, where it was cloudy, but darkness where there were clear skies.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
We traveled from Titletown USA down to Nashville to watch the eclipse. The weather was decent with a few puffy clouds, but nothing overhead at the time of totality. A truly amazing sight to see! Of course, most of my photos were awful- kudos to those professional photographers who get decent pictures.

Our biggest mistake was thinking we could head home that afternoon. Nashville to Louisville, Kentucky took nearly 7 hours and we didn't arrive at Indianapolis until midnight. The worst traffic we have ever experienced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.