Eclipse / NetBeans on Retina iMac anyone?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by makdeniss, Dec 2, 2014.

1. makdeniss macrumors member

makdeniss

Trying to pull the final plug on purchasing the retina iMac.
    Got curious if anybody is using it with editors such as:

- NetBeans;
    - Eclipse

Are they optimized / do they look good on this mac? Thanks in advance for your input.

2. ra004e macrumors regular

I use IntelliJ IDEA, xCode, Textmate, Sublime text, OS X Terminal and they all are wonderful on 5k. What I bought this machine for. If no one answers in next few hours I'll install

- NetBeans;
    - Eclipse

and will let you know. Whole different world. Also on a different note you may want to check out IntelliJ IDEA, it's not free, but really awesome IDE. Worth looking into if you haven't allready.

3. ra004e macrumors regular

Installed both, can use them for some additional projects.

Yes both look fine, I didn't see any IU elements that had issues. Text was as it should be expected on Retina. Did not spend much time in either program, but what I saw looked awesome.

4. makdeniss thread starter macrumors member

makdeniss

Thanks man! Appreciate for the feedback! I can't really use anything else, since those are the IDE's that we use at our company and I've gotten pretty used to them.

Thanks again for the quick, helpful response!

----------

Got to this iDE's webpage, looks like a must try. Will try it out :) Thanks

5. PrinceReborn macrumors newbie

I recently got the maxed out retina iMac, however I am experiencing performance issues with Netbeans which makes it quite unusable. Here is a video showing scrolling lag in quite a small file:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O_L4pP4gk

Luckily, Eclipse does not have this issue, however I do not have much experience with Eclipse so it will take some getting used to for me.

6. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I too find NetBeans sluggish, on my 2013 13" rMBP. I haven't used NetBeans on a modern, non-retina mac, so can't say whether the screen resolution is the main cause of sluggishness.