Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
Trying to pull the final plug on purchasing the retina iMac.
Got curious if anybody is using it with editors such as:

- NetBeans;
- Eclipse

Are they optimized / do they look good on this mac? Thanks in advance for your input.

ra004e

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009

- NetBeans;
- Eclipse

Are they optimized / do they look good on this mac? Thanks in advance for your input.
I use IntelliJ IDEA, xCode, Textmate, Sublime text, OS X Terminal and they all are wonderful on 5k. What I bought this machine for. If no one answers in next few hours I'll install

- NetBeans;
- Eclipse

and will let you know. Whole different world. Also on a different note you may want to check out IntelliJ IDEA, it's not free, but really awesome IDE. Worth looking into if you haven't allready.

ra004e

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009

- NetBeans;
- Eclipse

Installed both, can use them for some additional projects.

Yes both look fine, I didn't see any IU elements that had issues. Text was as it should be expected on Retina. Did not spend much time in either program, but what I saw looked awesome.

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
Installed both, can use them for some additional projects.

Yes both look fine, I didn't see any IU elements that had issues. Text was as it should be expected on Retina. Did not spend much time in either program, but what I saw looked awesome.

Thanks man! Appreciate for the feedback! I can't really use anything else, since those are the IDE's that we use at our company and I've gotten pretty used to them.

Thanks again for the quick, helpful response!

----------

I use IntelliJ IDEA, xCode, Textmate, Sublime text, OS X Terminal and they all are wonderful on 5k. What I bought this machine for. If no one answers in next few hours I'll install

- NetBeans;
- Eclipse

and will let you know. Whole different world. Also on a different note you may want to check out IntelliJ IDEA, it's not free, but really awesome IDE. Worth looking into if you haven't allready.

Got to this iDE's webpage, looks like a must try. Will try it out :) Thanks

PrinceReborn

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
I recently got the maxed out retina iMac, however I am experiencing performance issues with Netbeans which makes it quite unusable. Here is a video showing scrolling lag in quite a small file:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O_L4pP4gk

Luckily, Eclipse does not have this issue, however I do not have much experience with Eclipse so it will take some getting used to for me.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I too find NetBeans sluggish, on my 2013 13" rMBP. I haven't used NetBeans on a modern, non-retina mac, so can't say whether the screen resolution is the main cause of sluggishness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.