Eclipse on Retina scaled mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macagain, Jun 15, 2012.

1. macagain macrumors regular

Any code monkeys out there tried Eclipse on the Retina display running at 1680 or 1920 scaled yet?

I went into the apple store, and was really (pleasantly) surprised that scaled 1680 mode did indeed seem sharper/clearer than my native 1680 mbp with all the "standard" apple apps that were loaded on the store units (although I did not do side by side...) I'm just wondering if Eclipse being a Java app built on it's own platform does some weird things in terms of text rendering (like Chrome does) to make things look like crap on the Retina...

I spend most of my time in Eclipse, and the 1920 mode coupled with the lighter weight sounds like a great combo for coding on the road.

2. tpthaler, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

tpthaler macrumors newbie

it looks like crap in "Retina" mode.

At 1920, you will go blind in no time...

I'll be developing on my cinema display until someone writes a fix.

3. audiogopher macrumors newbie

You've actually tried eclipse in those modes, or are you saying this based on the various reviews on the internet (e.g. firefox vs. safari screenshots)?

4. bryanl macrumors member

I wouldn't say it looks like crap. I'm currently running in 1920x1200 mode right now. I never run a full screen eclipse, but normally leave it in the top left 2/3 of the screen or the left two/3 of the screen. I move things around with divvy. That gives me enough room to have an android emulator (or iPhone simulator running on the right 1/3 of the screen)

Fonts don't look that bad. They could be shaper, but it isn't really bad enough to complain about.

5. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

6. zhson macrumors newbie

How about netbeans? is it alright in the retina display?

7. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

I'd assume it would be similar to IntelliJ since it (as I remember) is 100% Java too.

8. zhson macrumors newbie

ok thanks

9. tpthaler macrumors newbie

I've used/tried all the modes. They ALL annoy me, and are not nearly as sharp as the text in Safari/Chrome Canary...

The 1920 mode is the least annoying from a rendering standpoint, but the text is way to small for me... I'm only 31, but I've been coding for 15+ years, and my eyes can't handle that tiny of text for long...

10. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

I sort of agree with you, but you could run 1920 mode and just make your terminal and IDE fonts larger. In fact, if I had a 15" laptop with 1920x1200 native that is exactly what I would do.

My next question, which I didn't have time to do yesterday, is how much of performance hit does the scaling take? The display dialog specifically says it will. I would assume the GPU it taking care of that, not taxing the CPU with it.

11. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Would like to read that article, but it's truncated at the first paragraph; "This afternoon I..." is the last thing I see. Tried in Chrome and Safari.

12. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

Arrghh! Stupid new Blogger template, I must have screwed something up while trying to make it iPad-happy last night! I've switched to a plain template now until I have time to debug, please try again.

PS: Thanks for the head's up

13. Barna Biro, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Can you perhaps download and install the trial version of Flash Builder 4.6 from Adobe and then post a screenshot of the entire screen? ( https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=flash_builder ) After download and install just load some random open-source project into the IDE and some random .as file with a decent amount of code.

Since it's also Eclipse-based, I am guessing that it will look quite similar that IntelliJ screenshot, just I really want to see how it looks like. Can I also kindly ask for a non-scaled and a scaled version screenshot? ( on retina resolution and then something else that you consider "readable" )

Thanks!

14. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

I don't know when the next time I'll be at the Apple Store will be but will try to remember to do so unless someone else here does it first.

15. macagain thread starter macrumors regular

It looks awesome

Ok, went to the Apple store, downloaded Eclipse, and...

It looks pretty awesome. At both 1680 and 1920, I didn't notice any jagged edges on anything at all, icons, text, or text in the Java editor. At 1680, it's just as good as my native 1680 mbp, and at 1920 everything is even crisper. I'd be more than happy working at either of those resolutions. No, 1920 didn't make me feel like I was going blind (well, I already need glasses...) The extra space is nice.

I forgot to check 1440 retina, though not sure why anyone would want to program at that res!

Dang. I was really hoping I'd come away thinking, cool I get to save $3k... but now, dang dang dang. At least congress just extend the 100% equipment write-off for 2012!