Eclipse , the lonely candidate?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by sioannou, Mar 6, 2011.

1. sioannou macrumors member

sioannou

My apologies if this is not the correct place to post my question.

Anyway guys, I am a student in the field of computer science and besides that I am an amateur developer as a hobby. I mainly use java and c++ for my projects and I use to develop small applications for windows and android.

I know most people here will recommend eclipse for this kind of needs. I know eclipse and I love eclipse. Also I know NetBeans but I dont like it. Do you guys know any alternative IDEs for mac that support Java and C++ ? If it's not possible to get a robust IDE to support both languages , do you know any good IDE that support either C++ or Java?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

IntelliJ IDEA is probably the best Java IDE that I have used. But you pay for it.

3. ThomasLund macrumors newbie

IDEA is much better than Eclipse. Community edition is free, got to pay for the full featured version. Worth every $/€ imho

But its java only, yeh. Xcode is pretty decent for C++ - not used Eclipse for C++, so dont know if one is better than the other

/Thomas

4. msbenn67 macrumors newbie

5. chrisvee macrumors regular

My favourite right now has to be TextMate. I've been using it for Java, C, C++, and soon Ruby.

6. sioannou thread starter macrumors member

sioannou

IDEA seems interesting , but what really is the difference between community edition and the other editions?

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Why not just Eclipse?? You say you know and already love it.

8. sioannou thread starter macrumors member

sioannou

Of course I love Eclipse and I do use it a lot , but in my opinion it's not good to depend entirely in one thing :) So i think its always good to try new software .