Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bentiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Hi folks, I took Java Programming class and are required to download a program, JCreator for my class and homework. I don't think my Macbook can run the program but my PC can. Unfortunately, my PC didn't work (due to bad RAM) and I'm switching back to my MacBook, to run Eclipse. My question is: Do Eclipse run differently than JCreator? Since my class run instructions with JCreator, where can I find a starter's tip of how to use Eclipse? Your help is much appreciate.

zabbadu

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
all the best information for getting started with eclipse is actually on the eclipse.org site. there's tons of information there. check out the getting started tab once installed.

i'm not sure how the features compare, but when I was learning java in school, we used bluej. it simplified a lot of the concepts with compiling java stuff. i wonder if you might be able to use it instead of jcreator/eclipse. back in those days, i had already been using eclipse, so i knew how to get around the differences in features between bluej & eclipse. i have no experience with jcreator, though..

bluej has a mac os x install, though..

thomashw

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Eclipse makes it really easy for Java developers. Just do a tutorial from their site to figure out the UI and you'll have no problems.

rjenovai

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
There's also IntelliJ IDEA from jetbrains. I had a 1 year license from a NFJS conference I attended a couple of years ago. There's a community version (free) a paid version w/free 30-day trial. I've used both it and eclipse and really one isn't any better than the other. I would just try a few and go with the one you like the most.

Edit: also if you find that you have to use JCreator, don't forget you can run windows on your macbook either w/bootcamp or in a VM.

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
Hi folks, I took Java Programming class and are required to download a program, JCreator for my class and homework. I don't think my Macbook can run the program but my PC can. Unfortunately, my PC didn't work (due to bad RAM) and I'm switching back to my MacBook, to run Eclipse. My question is: Do Eclipse run differently than JCreator? Since my class run instructions with JCreator, where can I find a starter's tip of how to use Eclipse? Your help is much appreciate.

Yes JCreator and Eclipse will run differently. If you are just starting programming, this may be a difficult substitution to make. You may want to consider going back to JCreator to keep things simpler.

There are many Eclipse tutorials, but since you are starting programming, your best bet would be to search for "Hello World" Eclipse tutorials. Performing a search in Google should net you some good results.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Just to add that Netbeans is a very good IDE for working with Java and much more Mac friendly in my opinion when working with it.

Bentiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Thanks everyone for tips and advice. As you can see, I choose the lather of running Eclipse. However, I may want to go to JCreator to learn Java is much simply way. Unfortunately, time is running out...assignment was supposed to turn in last week.

I go ahead and install both update version and the JCreator in my PC. In my recent post, I stated that my PC had a bad RAM and however my JCreator worked!!

I'm going to test out both Eclipse and JCreator and see how it's goes. Any problems or statement I have, I'll let you guys know!

Again, thanks!

Bentiko

Bentiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Well, here another problem with my JCreator.

As I opened up the Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 20. I came across with an error message stated : Error 1335. The cabinet file....". I don't understand what this means.

As I opened up the JCreator, I need to browse to find the JDK installation directory. (JDK1.6.0) Is this directory link to above file to be open?

Bentiko

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
I use both Eclipse and NetBeans. In recent releases, I think NetBeans has gotten much more solid. Much easier to just start getting into coding than Eclipse. And the fact that Oracle/Sun still plans on improving it is a great sign. Give it a go:

www.netbeans.org

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.