Home Ecobee 3 with Carlin and Buderus Boiler

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by nunes013, May 6, 2017.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

My cousin is trying to connect an Ecobee 3 to his Carlin 60200 and Buderus boiler. The system does not have a C wire and he is not sure where to connect the power extender kit to on the system. What we believe to be the control panel on the Carlin is labeled T,T,F,F,A,A instead of the usual thermostat labeled wires (W, Y, G, Rc, R, C). Does anybody have any experience with this type of system and hooking up a smart thermostat? Or are there any other workarounds that are easy and will not damage the system?

2. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

Yeah good idea! He took one and sent it to me. This gives a better idea.

Attached Files:

4. jetsam, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

jetsam macrumors 6502

Your first photo shows the oil burner control. Don't touch that!

Your second photo shows thermostat wiring which appears to be controlling a simple heat-only boiler with a Green common ("C") wire. If I'm right, you're all set to install the Ecobee without extra gizmos.

The thermostat connects to a switching relay which I've seen mounted either on the wall or on the side of the boiler.
    It's probably either a Taco or a Honeywell, though Buderus might have their own (could be labeled Bosch, too). Find it, take the cover off, and it might be obvious what your connections are. If not, post a picture, and I might be able to help.

Just to add - the switching relay connects the low voltage 24V thermostat to the boiler which uses 120V house current. It might be prudent to shut off the boiler at the emergency switch upstairs before opening the switching relay cover.

5. chuyn macrumors 6502

That doesn't look like a common wire. That green wire's terminal looks like G, which would be fan control. It doesn't look like there's even a C terminal on that old thermostat

6. jetsam macrumors 6502

If it's a boiler, as the OP says, then it doesn't have a fan. That's why I assumed the extra wire is common.

A very common switching relay for a single stage heating-only FHW system is the Taco SR501, which has three thermostat connections: Red, White, and Common. Seeing three wires, and reading "boiler", I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that was what I was seeing here.

Actually, looking more carefully at the picture of the thermostat wiring, that appears to be an air-conditioning thermostat, not a heating thermostat. Heat should use R and W. A/C uses RC and Y, as shown here. And if it is an A/C thermostat, then you're right, G is the fan.

OP, does your cousin have separate thermostats for heating and cooling?

7. chuyn macrumors 6502

Right, I was wondering why there'd be a G terminal too. Noticed the Y as well but didn't realize it could be a separate thermostat haha