Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Since the Ecobee3 is home kit approved, should I go ahead and get it now, or wait? Are there any rumors that state Nest will become home kit approved in the next year or so?

Also, should I go ahead and get the Ecobee3 now, or is there an update coming or are there better thermostats that are being worked on that are home kit approved? The only other one I could find is the Honewell Lyric, and it looks like the Ecobee 3 is better than that one.

Thanks!

Reactions: geek.jerome

geek.jerome

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2015
Long Island , NY
I'm very interested in this topic as I already have invested in the Nest system, but my Nest protect fire alarm device have been fault alerting and I want to replace the whole NEST system(video(DropCam/nestCam),fire alarm, thermostats plus I was looking at the big ass fan intergraded into NEST and the Philip lightings system ).

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I purchased the Ecobee3 with HomeKit two weeks ago. It is fantastic. I didn't purchase the Nest because I only have four wires and no Common wire. The Nest uses a power stealing technique that can destroy your furnace's control board. Do a web search. The Ecobee3 uses a power adapter that is safe. This isn't an issue if you have five wires. WiFi control takes much more power than the old basic electronic thermostats.

Back to the main question. On WiFi, the Ecobee3 is incredible. My air conditioning is more balanced. The multi-room sensors work. It doesn't make zones as that requires new ductwork. However, it does a good job averaging.

I bought the HomeKit model for future use. It is VERY limited today. I couldn't get it to work with IOS 9 Beta 3. With yesterdays Beta 5, I got it working with no problems. Currently, you can only use it to get information from Siri.

Check it out.

https://www.ecobee.com/faq/what-voice-commands-can-i-use-to-control-my-homekit-enabled-ecobee3/

I am pleased with my purchase. Totally useful with WiFi. Future use with HomeKit. Fun use with HomeKit today.

BTW, with my Apple TV 3, I am able to use HomeKit away from home. Here is a response when using it away from the house.

Siri, List my upstairs temperature.

Let me ask around...
It's at 72.9

janil

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2006
You should be okay getting an ecobee 3 instead of waiting (if that's you decide you want)

There has already been one major firmware push -- if they need another for Homekit, that would simply be another push. It is updated automatically, without any intervention from you.

I love my ecobee 3. The interface is awesome. I set up a nice weekly program for it now because it is so simple to do. I like the ecobee more than nest because I have more control with the ecobee. The nest is a "learning" thermostat which does what it thinks you want it to do. That may or may not work for you.

I was fortunate in that I already had 5 wires for the thermostat, so I didn't have to use the adapter kit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.