Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Since my MBA is a 2011, it is maxed at 4GB of RAM. I rarely run into issues since the SSD is so fast at swapping that it usually isn't an issue. For example, right now I am installing a VMWare image with Windows 8 while my Chrome based browser has 25 pages loaded, and performance is okay. It's one of the things I love about this little tool.

But I'm curious... on Windows, I often killed services and software that loaded upon start that I did not need. On my MBA, is this also possible? Are there things I can stop from loading that I may not need? If so, where can I go for a reference on such things?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But I'm curious... on Windows, I often killed services and software that loaded upon start that I did not need. On my MBA, is this also possible? Are there things I can stop from loading that I may not need? If so, where can I go for a reference on such things?
Delete any non-essential items from the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• /Library/StartupItems/
    (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.