Eddy Cue and Craig Federighi Discuss Maps and 'Learning From Apple's Failures' In New Interview

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 10, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Continuing from an interview with Tim Cook and Eddy Cue earlier in the week, Fast Company today posted a lengthy new interview session with Cue and Craig Federighi, in which the two discussed Apple Maps, the legacy of Apple devices, and "learning from Apple's failures."

Both Cue and Federighi admitted that everyone who works at the company has "to be honest with ourselves" whenever mistakes are brought up by the public, usually following new product or software launches. While some may see this as an exponentially increasing problem with Apple, Cue points out that the quality issue appears bigger since the company's reach has expanded. There's "a higher bar" Apple has to achieve now, and Cue is "okay with that."
    Both of the Apple executives commented that sometimes the company's high quality standards aren't fully met, particularly when Fast Company questioned them about the "universal scorn" that welcomed Apple Maps in 2012. Despite Apple's decision to treat Maps as "an integral part of the whole platform," Cue admitted it was a harsh truth to face the public reaction to its initial launch and points out that a small, isolated team might have "underestimated the complexity of the product."
    When asked about Apple's opinion regarding the belief that companies -- including Facebook and Amazon -- are attempting to gain "ownership of the customer throughout the day," both Cue and Federighi said that Apple doesn't think of their services and products in that way. The company is encouraging of the third-party apps that flourish on iOS, like Uber, and doesn't see a need to spread itself so thin as to try and become and create these experiences itself.
    Towards the end of the interview, Cue and Federighi mentioned the largely similar work relationship seen with both Tim Cook and former CEO Steve Jobs. Although the approach each took in tackling the job has been "completely different," Cue said there's one common factor he's had with both: "I never wanted to disappoint Steve. I never want to disappoint Tim."
    In the full interview, the Apple executives go deeper into the complexities of running and growing Apple Maps, the yearly expectations of improved quality for each product (namely the iPhone), and more. You can read the full Fast Company interview here.

Article Link: Eddy Cue and Craig Federighi Discuss Maps and 'Learning From Apple's Failures' In New Interview

2. Pommis macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2016 ---
    How difficult it is to add speed meter to maps when you are driving?

3. Xavier, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

Xavier macrumors 68030

Isn't there a speedometer in your car already?

4. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

5. avanpelt macrumors 68030

"I think it's awesome that Travis and his team have done Uber on our platform. It would not exist without our platform, let's be clear. " -Eddy Cue

Wow, that seems like a bold statement to make. Especially coming from "Mr. Hollywood".

6. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Oh, Craig <3

Seriously though, this bit
    made me smile. Tim is not Steve and people here need to realize that and get over it.

7. i5pro macrumors regular

i wish these guys could stop interviews for a while and get back to doing/making what their customers want....like updated macs that can compete on their own, and something that actually wows you and makes you say I need to have it, not just a new color, not something thinner. Something that actually is impressive and works.

I'm afraid that they've lost their "magic" and are allowing competitors the opportunity to convince me that Apple is not what it used be..no more...Sigh

8. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Is there a "Maps was horrible" press junket going on?

9. newyorksole macrumors 68040

10. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Howcome they haven't learned that people don't care about how thin a device is anymore when features are gimped?

11. mikeray macrumors regular

Craig Federighi is a total nerd babe.

12. Nimrad macrumors 6502

Aah, the classic comment was already here. Like this interview (and others) have any effect what so ever on the next mac updates.

13. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I agree. I am no fan of Apple Maps but it's odd that there have been several interviews recently specifically talking about the Maps fiasco. I mean, that was four years ago. We all know that the product sucked when it launched and that the "The more you use it, the better it will get" line was a lie. For some people, it still sucks (or it is inferior to the competition). I wonder why Apple execs keep referring back to the debacle now? Maybe trying to set the stage for a complete reboot of the product? Although, this seems like an odd way to do that.

14. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Seriously...I find him creepy and cheesy most of the time but that looks like a super creepy shot. like a "come on ladies, don't you want to come back to my place..."

15. Nimrad macrumors 6502

Tell that to the recently successful "New MacBook" and extremely talented marketing team at Apple who knows ********s more about what people want than you and me combined.

16. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

One's from Services, the other is from Software, and you're talking about Hardware.

17. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Yeah, but that leads to dangerous distraction. He doesn't want to take his eyes off the iPhone while he's texting.

18. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

And despite email and error reports, my home is still incorrectly listed. And I live in densely populated eastern Massachusetts, not the exurbs of West Buffalo Chip, Montana. Lucky for me neither UPS nor USPS nor town emergency services use Apple Maps!

19. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

It accomplishes two things:

- Reminds people of a time when Apple was a more interesting, relevant company.

- Distracts people from their current failures and lack of direction (HA!) as a whole.

20. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Can you please elaborate? What do you want or imagine? What would you do? What can you possibly want on your laptop or phone that's technologically and physically possible today -aside from spec bumps- whilst adding functionality, keeping the current prices and wowing people? ("wireless" charging does not count and waterproofing is coming).

21. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Apple maps is still garbage compared to google maps, but it's more used because it's built in and the default

So congrats apple?

22. coolfactor macrumors 601

I wouldn't go as far as saying the products are "way better" than they used to be. That's a generalization that does not apply to all of their products. The OS X interface, for example, has declined slightly. It doesn't have the same "feel" that it used to. While we all adapt and accept over time, it's sad when that happens. Then there's things like System Preferences... why is it so slow to open, even on brand new Macs? A design flaw? And that "Show All" button that does nothing at the top level, it's been there for 10+ years. They've changed icons with every release, but ignore usability details like that? Don't get me started on that awkward Get Info window with its tiny padlock button and flawed permission management interface. :confused:

But Apple products are still best of breed. It's hard to imagine being anti-Apple in today's world. Look what they're missing out on. :p

23. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

Maps should be a social network like Waze to help avoid real time traffic.

24. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

I wish they could explain why transits are being introduced at the speed of two cities per month and why maps doesn't have transits, cycle and walking routes. Even why maps in the Netherlands pronounce street names wrong. All things google maps handles very well....

25. coolfactor macrumors 601

You're not supposed to be looking at your entertainment screen while driving. How would a speed meter (speedometer?) help you?

26. 2457282 Suspended

Eddie: do all the interviews you want. Pero por favor, Stay off the stage in September. :cool: