Eddy Cue: Apple 'Trying to Do Some Things' to Combat the Spread of Fake News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is actively working on ways to ensure its content delivery services are robust enough to stand up to the challenge of "fake news", according to Apple's senior vice president of software and services, Eddy Cue.

Cue made the comments during a wide-ranging interview at the Code Media conference on Monday evening. Echoing comments recently made by CEO Tim Cook, Cue said that technology companies have a special responsibility to members of the public, most of whom now depend upon personal devices to receive their news. With that in mind, Cue said that while there was no simple way to counter the spread of fake news, the company is working on methods to reduce its dissemination.

[​IMG]

Fake news has been a trending topic since last year's U.S. Presidential election, with companies like Facebook making loud statements about the action they have taken to bring the quality of articles to users' attention.

Last week, Tim Cook admitted that fake news is "one of today's chief problems" and that "we have to give the consumer tools" to deal with the challenge. Companies like Apple should "filter part of it" before it reaches the public, he said, but in a way that avoids "losing the great openness of the internet".

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Eddy Cue: Apple 'Trying to Do Some Things' to Combat the Spread of Fake News

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

3. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

4. Avieshek macrumors 6502a

Avieshek

So, thicker batteries, were all a lie?

5. Relentless Power, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Personally, I don't reference Apple news. But at least they are trying to address and rectify the issue. If they want to be relevant as a trusted platform, this is definitely should be addressed to clean up any misconceptions that are being reported.

Cue is right though. There is no real definitive solution to hault all fabricated news, but tools can be used to filter it the best they can.

6. budselectjr, Feb 14, 2017

budselectjr macrumors 6502a

FYI to the Facebooks and now Apples of the world, going down the editorial route isn't going to be a wise decision.

7. mkeeley macrumors 6502

I hope you're not implying that the BBC isn't biased.

8. Urban Joe Suspended

I've never had trouble discerning fake news.
    Besides, the media has never been trustworthy.
    Todays media is nearly 100% oped anway.
    Trust your gut...not the TV.
    If you want to know the truth.... read the Bible and find a good Prophet.
    It takes very little effort or intelligence to be a scoffer.

9. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Here's how you deal with fake news:

Use your goddamn common sense, and don't believe something the moment you see it. Search around, use your brain to determine whether the news would make sense, and then decide for yourself.

If you can't do that then don't ever go on a news website again.

10. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Fake employees? (Staff leaving)
    Fake news? (Rumors that are actually real)

11. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Oh Im sure they'll only allow CNN and MSNBC. Not that any other networks are better but they'll love the flag banning and water gun replacing

12. Kabeyun, Feb 14, 2017

Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

My opinion is that this is a dangerous opinion. "My gut tells me it's true, so it's true." Very good. If truth were in the gut, the world would be flat, stars would be pinholes in a black velvet curtain, and you doctor would be treating your pneumonia with leeches.

As to the Bible, more people have been killed in the name of a religion than for any other reason.

I strongly suggest to the Mods that this thread be moved to the Politics forum.

13. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

There are other people who want to believe everything. This is not new though. Elvis was alive, Apollo 11 never flew to the moon, JFK was killed by two killers and so on. It is just that in todays world with social media such things get multiplied and if you read fake facts on multiple sites something may get out of control and stick in some peoples mind.

Oh and are you sarcastic about the bible?

14. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

No need.
    BBC News can be added as a source in Apple News.

15. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Agreed. Trouble is - 'common sense' means a totally different thing to different people. For 8 years, a work mate of mine thought it was 'common sense' that Obama was about to semd out the national guard to go house to house to confiscate weapons.

16. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Unsure how trusting 'your gut' is going to help make sense of complex issues that require expertise & in-depth knowledge (something brought by experts in a field, which professional journalism can connect us with).

The ones to avoid are lobbyists.

17. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

You do realize that Apple News is a publishing platform not a source.

18. Max Portakabin Suspended

Start in your marketing dept, Eduardo.

19. djgamble macrumors 6502a

20. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Biased and fake are separate issues.

Biased=reporting ONLY the facts that shows "my candidate's" good points.

Fake= making up stuff.

21. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I think Apple News has a problem with Click Bait articles but I haven't seen any fake news in my feed. I tend to use the dislike and mute features though so maybe I'm weeding out the bad apples early.

22. G-News macrumors regular

"We've got great things in the pipeline. Totally alternative things. It'll be big, fantastic. Best things ever."

23. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Or you can add all these sources on Apple News? They'll aggregate them all on one stream, it'll make news reading easier for you.

24. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

Like leaving the News app available to a select few countries I'm guessing.

The solution to fake news is to make people less gullible and more critical. Tall order, I know.

25. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Amazing that some posters seem not to know that Apple news is simply an aggregator not a creator. Is that more conformational bias?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    Exactly Jade Helm reaction was "common sense" reaction by many.