Eddy Cue is coming through!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by putongnihongo, Nov 25, 2012.

1. putongnihongo macrumors member

My friend is a fellow apple geek but unlike me he is doing his phd in Comp Sci and is trying to work at apple. Long story short he was also one of the fans disappointed by maps but he called excited. Looks like Eddy Cue is taking web services seriously at Apple.
    Maps - For the first time ever Apple is posting a maps project manager as well as expanding their staff for map related technology including a key term with a few of the engineering positions: integrating data from different sources. The project manager is the most important position opening. For all of you guys involved with business we can see that this shows that Cue is treating maps as a separate entity from other apple software. This means resources that can be allocated for the sole purpose of Apple mapping developments and enhancements.

iCloud development - The biggie here is they are searching for people to help design ENTERPRISE solutions for iCloud. This demands a much more robust service and inhouse development means technology designed to go hand in hand with apple software.

Siri: The guy that developed the Amazon search algorithm is the head of Siri search but the biggest news is Apple looking for data scientists that specialize in Machine Thinking. Enhancements to machine thinking will make Siri a much more powerful aspect of the iPhone. Google's investments in Machine thinking have paid off with Google Now (I find the service extremely creepy but thats just me.)

I think too many people underestimate Cue and Cook. Everyone is saying how Cook is allowing Apple to slide behind web services but one look at their hiring pages would say much differently. Also Apple doesn't have as many server farms as its competitors but they are building one in Oregon, one in HK, and I wouldn't be surprised if one in a Nordic country like Iceland. I am a very pleased holder of Apple stock and once all these new developments come into fruition haters will have to find new reasons to bash Apple.

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

This makes me wonder just what Scott was doing all this time. Was he just too arrogant to realise that IOS6 stank, or too overstretched from having to manage so many different projects, and too proud to ask for more help / funding? :confused:

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'd say all of the above in addition to over-promising while under-delivering.

I personally did not have a dislike for Forstall and thought he had a bright future at Apple. I think that he inherited some of that reality distortion field and fooled a lot of us into thinking he was far more valuable than he really was at Apple. Now that he's gone, I say brighter times ahead with the new leadership at Apple.

4. touchipods macrumors regular

iOS6 does stink-which is why my touch 4g is at 5.1.1 firmware. I don't understand either since iOS1-5 were all good to great updates. I also watch the WWDC keynote from iOS2 to iOS6 and watching iOS6 keynote left me wanting for more.

iOS6 literally could've been iOS5.2 and in fact looking back it should've been. If it had people would not be saying iOS is boring because at 5.2 customers can say wait for iOS6 to bring changes.

Also iOS 6 is the first iOS where Steve Jobs did not have influence throughout. iOS5 Jobs was heavily involved while iOS6 less influence in terms of software not hardware (iPhone 5).

So while Forstall does get some blame for iOS6, Cook should as well. I'm sure he saw iOS6 before it was released to developers and thought it was ok unless he is very hands off.

5. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

If you look at my post history you'll see I have brought up the issue of not having a dedicated person overseeing maps and that being a strong indicator of it's importance, or lack thereof, in the company. So, this is good to see, however, I personally think there should be a VP of maps, not just a project manager. This is a small step in the right direction.

6. putongnihongo thread starter macrumors member

I think it was mainly about being overwhelmed. Forstall probably thought he could manage normal ios development + Siri + Maps treating both as plain software. Because Forestall is a software expert not really a web services expert he came at them like software without a real focus on the backend. I think in time maps will have their own unofficial VP working under Cue directly considering it looks like all together they've set aside 50+ positions for mapping not including all the former google contractors they've hired through head hunters. But right now is an extremely exciting time for Apple. Too many people have criticized Cook for a lack of vision and passion for Apple products and I think this shows the exact opposite. I am really excited about Siri because I use it all the time and would love it to do stuff on the phone without the need for it to be online. Perhaps that is being worked on right now. People say iCloud is nowhere as robust as Skydrive or google offerings but Cue who seems to make a point of being aware of competitors strengths and weaknesses is going all out. Not only are they hiring people to build the next gen of iCloud from the ground up so it isn't a slave to legacy tech, but they are really investing in server side communications and technology. Unfortunately I deal with a few fandroids that love to coo about the death of Apple but by 2014 I can imagine them sucking hard on lemons.

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

VP of maps is overkill. Maps is just a feature, like Siri, mail, Safari.

8. putongnihongo, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012

putongnihongo thread starter macrumors member

I think the problem with ios 6 is this was that forstall ****ed up communications with partners. Passbook has been adopted by the mlb with open arms and they even stated passbook adoption has been beyond their expectations. The sdk for passbook should have created clear guidelines on ways to utilize it jn a way that is clear to the end users. If you go to HK the biggest chains of movie theaters now use passbook as well as other international operators. Ios 6 features are no way a dud its just that forstall really needed passbook adoption in the beginning at the stage it is now.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

iOS 6 could have been called iOS 4+, or mini-kitty or whatever the hell Apple wanted to call it. There is no universal metric for denoting what should be in a full point upgrade. Software upgrade versions aren't for you as a consumer. They are for developers that need to know what the baseline is for the OS and its supported featureset. You as a consumer saying you don't feel it should have been 6.0 means absolutely nothing. It's a free OS and you didn't pay anything or the upgrade. For developers it means new and updated frameworks that they can rely on to be there.

Back on Topic:

Cue ...I like this guy. I've read he's one of Apple's best negotiators which means he's used to fighting and getting what he wants. That's what the iCloud and Maps needs. An effective leader that drives the products forward and doesn't accept mediocrity.

Apple should have been hiring and acquiring at a more fevered pace.

10. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

really? you are complaining about the version number? why not go talk to google's chrome team about that, they are on ver 20 + already.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It always amazes me how many people jump to this as a defense. The problem is that it's a lie. We DO pay for it.

Since Apple lists and promotes updatability as a feature and a reason to buy an iPhone, all upgrades and future OS's are factored into the initial cost of the phone.

12. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Enterprise integration and improved Siri aren't really that important to me. I hope that those are just some of many improvements and overhauls being applied to iOS.

13. 1member1 macrumors 6502

He was too confident on iOS or he was dissapointed that Tim got the job instead of him.
    After few years in the same position you feel a little bored and without imagination from you or your team you will find yourself deeper and deeper every year.

I hope we will see major changes in the next year.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I don't think iOS needs major changes.

I think it just needs stable evolution along with polish. It does pretty much what most people want and does it well but there are some rough edges (like slow app stores, iCloud aggravations with getting data pushed up, too many context switches)

That being said reports of iOS 6 not being good are largely coming from the "i'm bored" crowed.

Developers are pretty enthusiastic about what iOS 6 is bringing with improved text tools, UI tools with layout and collections and tons of more stuff. As always the fruits of the labor won't be seen until we start talking about iOS 7 but that's the trailing edge of software chasing the hardware.

15. putongnihongo thread starter macrumors member

It's not enterprise integration. What this shows is a new level of commitment to cloud services. Everyone talks about how apple is weak in the cloud blah blah needs to buy twitter for tech blah blah. What this shows is that the team is taking the cloud seriously and is commiting capital, brain power, and man power to their cloud services.

16. BRyken macrumors 6502

this

17. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

When I hear Enterprise I hear better collaboration/sharing and, as you say, a stronger commitment to the service. Apple has said iCloud is a cornerstone for the future. It'll continue to become more robust and full featured.

18. putongnihongo thread starter macrumors member

I think people seem to downplay the potential for Siri way too easily.

19. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Just curious...how many FEWER people do you think would have purchased iPhone 5 if it still came with iOS 5?

20. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Depends on how you meant it.

If iOS 6 weren't available? Far, far less as too many people clamored over the new maps - as useless as they are for many of us.

If iOS 6 was available? Far more as many people I know refuse to upgrade until major problems are fixed.

Of course, I have no clue what that has to do with my comment, but I would assume the sale numbers would be far, far lower if Apple publicly stated that future upgrades would not be available or, if they were, they'd have to be purchased.

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Maps have been overblown.

Thank god the general consumer has no idea of the amount of buffoonery that the Tech Press unleashes upon it's gullible readers every day.

iOS 6 has some nice stuff and many new features won't be turned on until more of the userbase moves to 6.x

I've got so many apps on my iPhone I would have upgraded just to reduce the need to input my Apple ID password for every single update.

The Privacy features are nice. I like to know what apps i've given access to my Photos, Contacts, Location and more.

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's a very major feature though, and although it won't bring it any revenue on its own, is going to be something people expect to just work (especially when you have competition like google maps). Not to mention that there are going to be tons of other apps and services which will be relying on the accuracy of maps one way or another.

In short, Maps is the lynchpin. Maybe a VP is overkill, but I agree that it still deserves its own department looking into it. :)

23. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I don't really think of this when I pay for my new iPhone once a year.

24. putongnihongo thread starter macrumors member

We don't know if in time a maps guy that gets hired as project manager gets upgraded to junior VP that works directly under Cue. This would make the most sense. But maps relies on a reliable backend server system and data pipeline. So investments in server technology will benefit maps as well. But we really need to consider the fact that apple recognizes apple needs to consolidate different sources for POIs. For example to make Japan maps better there is always Yahoo Japan etc etc.

25. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Treating it like that is why it sucks.

There are companies who do maps as their entire business. It is not a simple tickbox feature.

Writing the app is easy. The app itself is fine. It is ensuring the data is accurate that is the tricky part, as apple have discovered.