Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
As soon as Steve Jobs left the company, all these executives are getting overpay. It's no wonder Apple was a dead company in the 90s before Jobs came back. Now the same thing is happening.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I don't understand how people can complain about how much money is being given to these people. We are the reason why Apple stocks are worth tons of money. It is the consumer who enables these people to receive so much money. If you don't think that they deserve millions of dollars, then stop buying Apple products.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not saying these guys don't provide a great deal of value to Apple--they do and deserve to be rewarded. I have a problem with obscene amounts of money being paid to *individuals*. 60 million? That's the yearly operating budget of many struggling public universities. We distribute our resources foolishly and we will pay the price someday.

"We" are not distributing these resources, but I assume you'd like a say in earnings that have nothing to do with you. Or rather, part of it is money you voluntarily gave to Apple. Now you want to decide what happens to it after buying your iPhone/Mac? Who's being greedy?

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
The executive's job: Find the right middle managers
Middle manages: Hire the right engineers, choose the right EMS contractor
Engineers: design the right things
EMS contracts: hire the right workers that complain the least
Workers: screw together your iDevice

Shakes head. Some people will believe anything.

There is so much more to being a successful executive in a company. I guess the executive's job looks like that when you are looking up at it from below, but that it so far from reality. (Exceptions made for true incompetence, which exists in every company.)

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
As soon as Steve Jobs left the company, all these executives are getting overpay. It's no wonder Apple was a dead company in the 90s before Jobs came back. Now the same thing is happening.

So many uninformed, misguided, obtuse people in this world. All with an opinion of no substance or value.

How sad.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
... an executive's job is just not really *that* taxing.

You have a firm grasp of the inaccurate.

Who needs more than a few million dollars per year? Once you've got a house, car, and a flatscreen?

A house, a car and a flatscreen. You are clearly someone of diverse and high class tastes.

Bottom line... Don't count someone elses money, and don't analyze what they are or aren't worth.

P.S. It's "remunerated". Renumeration is when you renumber something.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
Too bad he can't buy charisma or a better haircut. I'm sorry but there is just something about this guys face that bothers me! lol

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Millionaires Who Are Worth It....And Not

Worth It....people who make their fortune designing products that people buy and use. People like this are overall, a boon to society.

Not Worth It...people who make their fortunes lobbying, obfuscating, and coming up with "legal" ways to game the system while making nothing of value. People like this have a parasitical relationship to society and are akin to an "infestation".

nspindel

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
I'm wondering how many of the people who are critical of this, saying it's crazy, etc., are actually shareholders in Apple? I am. Eddie Cue is a crucial player, one of Jobs' most trusted deputies, and very much a key to the company's current success story. He deserves whatever they're giving him. Folks, this company had more than $100 billion in revenues. I didn't see Jony Ive's name in the list of execs getting grants, hopefully they're taking good care of him as well. As a shareholder, I am quite happy to see these guys being well compensated, they deserve it.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Unfortunately this thread will fill up with people saying just that. Although this is an insane amount of money, Apple is ensuring that their best executives stay at Apple. This is good for Eddy Cue, but also for Apple and its consumers.

I agree that Apple needs to retain its best people, but this amount of money seems insane, and from the article, it looks like these are stock grants, not stock options, which means that they can do a lousy job and the stock can drop 100 points and they'd still become absurdly rich.

Assuming you want to retain them, the question Apple (or any company) should be asking is "what's the minimum amount it will take to retain these people?" If someone stays for $40 million in stock, would they not stay for $30 million? If they'd stay for $30 million, would they not stay for $20 million? Etc. Is anyone else ready to hire these people for this level of compensation? If they are, than Apple is probably doing the right thing. But if they're not, than Apple is over compensating these people. Frankly, I'm surprised the Board approved this.

The other problem with offering these kinds of grants is that once the first ones vest, you're more likely to leave because even though there's another grant coming down the road that will make you even more absurdly rich, you already have more money than you need to live on for the rest of your life.

And I think there is also an issue about the difference in pay for these senior executives and the people who do the actual work. Is it fair to pay someone $50,000 when their boss makes $50 million? If Apple didn't pay these absurd stock grants to its top people, could it afford to pay Apple retail workers a wage that was more in line with a real middle-class American life and not a survival wage of just above minimum wage? In other words, even understanding that working in an Apple store requires relatively limited skills, is it fair that almost no one who works in an Apple store could ever afford to purchase their own home or apartment considering how much the senior executives at Apple are making? Is it fair that Apple execs make $tens of millions when their factory workers (supposedly) suffer in poor working conditions. Is it fair that Apple execs make that money when the average Apple employee does not make above the industry average (an assumption, but I believe that's correct.)

While Apple is not the same as the banks in that the banks received bailouts supported by taxpayers and then spat in our faces by both still granting huge bonuses to execs who failed at their jobs and by currently not granting loans to ordinary people, there is still the issue of the type of society we want to be: does it make sense to have such disparities in income at a time when middle-class people have seen no increase in real wages in more than two decades? You have to believe that one of the reasons workers have not seen increases in real wages is because compensation at the top has skyrocketed.

To me, there is a big difference between an entrepeneur who creates a company from scratch and creates great wealth for themselves and a corporation where the senior executives grant great wealth to themselves and very little to their employees. I think everyone accepts the idea (at least everyone who believes in capitalism) that execs make more money than workers, the question is when does such a large disparity hurt society as a whole. And at this point, where 25% of the wealth is owned by 1% of the society, I think society as a whole is getting hurt.

The only good part of those stock grants is that I believe they get taxed at the same level as wages, not as capital gains, so at least they'll be paying 35% on them, not 18%.

The fact is that if you believe all the stories about Steve's management style, these people might actually be more likely to stay with Steve gone (unless they had expected to be made CEO). It seems to me that any of the execs will have an easier job working for Tim Cook than they had working for Steve Jobs (if perhaps somewhat less intellectually stimulating.)

And as others have stated, I do have big concerns about Ive. IMO, his leaving would be a bigger loss to the company than if Cook left. If he wants to go back to the UK, Apple should build him a design studio there and have him fly in once a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.