Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
It's always interesting to learn about internal strife or dissension within Apple since it rarely escapes the secrecy.

Muro

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2011
Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Everyone who've read Jobs's biography knows by now his mood was easily influenced by the opinions of third party journalists. And when some hysterical co-workers also start harrassing you to jump on that 7 inch train, he probably might have said, well, let me think about it then. But in the long run he knew and Ive knows a 7 inch tablet is just a lame attempt by the competition to create a niche tablet market in the hope they will have a leadstart and stay ahead of Apple for once. Somewhere you can't even blame these poor bastards as their creative abilities are too limited to come up with newer and better devices then the iPad, so by cutting it up a few inches they have a fast and cheap way to hold on to something. that's Sesame Street-marketing. Besides the fact you can unbox a fresh new Apple package it has no extra value whatsoever. Oh wait, the price maybe then?! 199USD, that can sound appealing but we all know Apple is in it for great products an not cheap ones. So if the price factor is the most appealing feature for a user, that user is likely not in the category of users Apple wants them to be. So imo Apple will be thinking, let them create a niche market with cheap mediocre devices and bring in their marginal cash revenues. By now we know if a company wants to excel in Tech and outreach Apple, it has to come up with greater and groundbreaking products. Apple doesn't need to be the nr.1 in most sold items, it wants to be the nr. 1 in attracting users who also enjoy great design combined with functionality even if that means it will exclude the medicre mass users and a small group of Tech Nerds who wants everything to be adjustable and replacable. And if Cook somewhere decides to launch this baby iPad(we all knew what Jobs thought about the pre-iphone devices with the baby Internet, right) all Apple lovers can start weeping because we then can conclude Apple is shifting from it's philosophy and a great time of great devices has come to an end. But I still have hope in Apple and in Cook and we all can enjoy ourselves somewhere in september or in october with the long a waited release of only (ahum) a new iPhone.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
$250 or bust

The iPod touch costs $200 (which I think is a bit much), so I doubt a device more than twice the size of it will cost merely $250.
------
I think that 7" is too small, but the smaller iPad is a good size.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
The best case against an ipad mini in my mind, is that it would cannibalize sales of the existing ipad.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...nt-against-apples-ipad-mini.aspx#.UBxylqP4JcY

Post Job's mistakes:
#1 ipad mini
#2 the iphone 5 screen size, and overall appearance.

I'm sure there is some "good" reason for the 16x9 ratio on the new iphone. Apple likes to make design changes that have a function (the iphone 4 antenna). Maybe the long screen is because we get an extra row of icons, or for watching movies (doubt it), maybe its easier for app developers to adapt? Also, Apple loves they're pixel density, and maybe they think a bigger screen would diminish all they're hard work on lcd's. In any case its disappointing to me.

The teardrop iphone with wider screen would have sold zillions. But in a post Job's era, maybe they're stuck on the idea that their products should go against popular opinion, as thy have in the past with great success. Job's would have known the difference.

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It's important to remember that this "7 inch" iPad people are talking about is rumored to be closer to 8 inches.

The math I saw worked out to this smaller iPad having 40% more screen space than the current 7" Android tablets.

So worth remembering...when Steve said those 7" tablets were too small they could still have been planning something in between that and the current iPads.

Yes. And I also don't like the idea of a 7" tablet. The rumored miniature iPad is the right size. After that, there is not really any room for more devices with different screen sizes. Phones should really only go a little above 4" at max, tablets should be at least 7.8", laptops at least 12" and at most 17", and desktops from 17" to 30" (well 21" for my bad eyes).

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The best case against an ipad mini in my mind, is that it would cannibalize sales of the existing ipad.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...nt-against-apples-ipad-mini.aspx#.UBxylqP4JcY

Post Job's mistakes:
#1 ipad mini
#2 the iphone 5 screen size, and overall appearance.

I'm sure there is some "good" reason for the 16x9 ratio on the new iphone. Apple likes to make design changes that have a function (the iphone 4 antenna). Maybe the long screen is because we get an extra row of icons, or for watching movies? Or maybe its easier for app developers to adapt? Also, Apple loves they're pixle density, and maybe they think a bigger screen would diminish all they're hard work on lcd's. In any case its disappointing to me.

The teardrop iphone with wider screen would have sold zillions. But in a post Job's era, maybe they're stuck on the idea that their products should go against popular opinion, as thy have in the past with great success. Job's would have know the difference.

Jobs's devices didn't really go against popular opinion in external design unless you count the lack of common "tower" Macs. And the mini iPad will eat some iPad sales, but what harm could it do? Any normal iPad sales lost will be countered with mini iPad sales gained, and more people overall will buy iPads.

----------

Maybe he is referring to the seal skin? Steve Jobs would have never allowed the seal skin back on the iPad.

Few people would, even those who don't personally care if seals are killed in the process. I think selling iPads with seal skin backs alone would wreck the company. I would actually still buy Apple products that don't involve seals being killed only for skins.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Peoples have a wrong perception of Steve Jobs, mainly because lots of peoples didn't agree with is view. The popular and most common way to react to that is to conclude that the person is then close minded and simply stubborn.

However, when you listen to Steve Jobs, you realize that he really was able to argue and defend his way of seeing things very well, actually way better than most. And when you read about his life and how it worked at Apple, even if the guy was clearly a fierce opponent, he still was very open to arguments and debate and knew how to draw back when he didn't had arguments to back his position.

For example, he actually was against bringing the iPod to Windows, eventually when it became clear that he really didn't had any reason not to, he changed his mind, same thing with letting third-party write Apps for the iPhone.

I've read a lot about Steve Jobs over the years and watched almost all the interview he did. He was intense, but he really wasn't a blinded dogmatic like how most peoples seem to describe him.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
7" ipads will be bought mostly for kids and teens or people that can't afford a full size iPad

It's pointless.

Not necessarily. Sometimes my iPad feels a little bit too bulky and clumsy.

I use my co workers 7 inch galaxy tab a few times and it felt much more comfortable than the iPad does. I would buy a 7 inch for the comfort.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yes. And I also don't like the idea of a 7" tablet. The rumored miniature iPad is the right size. After that, there is not really any room for more devices with different screen sizes. Phones should really only go a little above 4" at max, tablets should be at least 7.8", laptops at least 12" and at most 17", and desktops from 17" to 30" (well 21" for my bad eyes).

I bought a Nexus 7 today, and really don't see what difference that 0.85" would make - other than perhaps changing it from "easy to hold in one hand" to "a bit wide to comfortably hold in one hand". (Especially if they keep the antique 4:3 aspect ratio.)

And the screen is remarkably sharp - probably because it has the same pixel count as my 13.3" Latitude. It's "retina" to me.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
hmm....

Usually whatever Steve publicly was against he really was for. However i have zero interest in a 7" or smaller Ipad, i do see it being worthy in the medical community to put in their pockets believe it or not. What the Iphone 5 should be is wider NOT longer, if these leaks are real it's a bit concerning that they may start looking long in the tooth, the hype on what people expect them to do with the iphone 5 is tremendous. IMO nothing beats the iphone and i suspect i'll be sold on getting it regardless of what they have up their sleeve. I hope Samsung gets what they deserve in this lawsuit, they're so blatemly ripping apple off on phone's and tablets it pisses me off. Some say let the market decide but i honestly think there is percentage of people who opt to buy these thinking it's just a cheaper iphone. At the same time it's working for Samsung, I bet Apple is really nervous if these samsung galaxy 3 phone's sales numbers are legit, people seem to love this phone. Android is just not something i can see switching to from IOS not to mention Blue and White being the only choices in colors is kinda lame. Hope Apple does what Steve wanted and spend every last penny righting this wrong in court, one by one staring w/ Samsung.

BR485

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
The Big Smoke
Whatever decision made at Apple, it always had to be approved by Jobs first.

You may want to sit down before I tell you this. Sitting? Okay. Steve Jobs died of cancer last October and is no longer alive and leading Apple. Here's a tissue...you'll be fine. Some people need more time than others. It's okay.

Seriously, the guy is DEAD. The fanboy obsession with "Steve" was creepy enough when he was alive. Give it a, er, rest and move on. You'll feel better, I promise.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
7" ipads will be bought mostly for kids and teens or people that can't afford a full size iPad

It's pointless.

Ridiculous. I'm not a kid or a teen (actually I'm 62) and I can certainly afford a full size iPad because I already have one. And I will still buy a mini when it comes out, just because I want a smaller sized iPad for reading eBooks and on the go browsing and email. I just love it when people make generalities and have no idea what they are talking about.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Apple needs to release a 7 inch product. However it would be best in the 7.0 inch size and 16x10 aspect ratio like the nexus 7. The nexus seven you can hold in one hand with your hand around both edges comfortably. If it was 4:3 you couldn't do this in the vertical orientation. Also when used in landscape the 16x10 ratio is by far the best. The nexus 7 is an excellent product and apple needs to address it.

I've had it for a few weeks now and my ipad 2 has gotten very little use. In landscape in the browser it s amazing. Very smooth, fast and the text looks great. Even better if you install paranoid android which allows you to use the tablet combined bar which saves some more vertical real estate.

Interesting. I'm the opposite. After having the Nexus 7 two weeks I returned it. Didn't like it at all. As Steve Jobs stated a 7" tablet isn't an ideal size. I agree with that.

Just the same I'm glad I tried the Nexus 7. For the Android experience I prefer my large screen Android phone ... renders text better than the N7 and fits in the pocket too. If not using the phone then it's an iPad sized tablet for me, the screen is the perfect size for a tablet, IMO.

Doesn't mean that Apple won't make a 7" tablet, there's a market there, but I'm convinced anything smaller than an iPad is a poorer user experience.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Interesting. I'm the opposite. After having the Nexus 7 two weeks I returned it. Didn't like it at all. As Steve Jobs stated a 7" tablet isn't an ideal size. I agree with that.

I have a Nexus 7 and I prefer the form factor of a smaller tablet to the iPad. The price is also attractive.

That is not to say that your opinion is incorrect, after all there is a reason a choice of size exists. Also, Steve Jobs' is word is not law; especially when the man was known to go back on things he said (e.g. video on the iPod).

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
The iPod touch costs $200 (which I think is a bit much), so I doubt a device more than twice the size of it will cost merely $250.
------
I think that 7" is too small, but the smaller iPad is a good size.

But nobody is buying an iPad instead of an iPod Touch, or an iPod Touch instead of an iPad. They have completely different use cases. It's similar to comparing a $129 iPod Nano (8GB) with an iPod Touch (8GB). The prices aren't necessary relative to the cost of manufacturing. You buy an iPod Nano if you want a tiny mp3 player that is of high quality and can clip onto your shirt while running. You buy an iPod Touch if you want a quality mp3 player, but don't necessary need it to be tiny, and don't want to actually buy a smartphone (teens or students). You buy an iPad if you want a big screened device. And with any three of those purchases, you will be buying an extremely high quality product that many believe to be the best experience for that said form factor. So while it may seem a bit odd for an iPod Touch to be $199 (or even $299/$399 in the case of 32GB/64GB) when an 8GB iPad is just $249. But very few will have skipped on the iPod Touch purchase because they could have bought an iPad Mini.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Peoples have a wrong perception of Steve Jobs, mainly because lots of peoples didn't agree with is view. The popular and most common way to react to that is to conclude that the person is then close minded and simply stubborn.

However, when you listen to Steve Jobs, you realize that he really was able to argue and defend his way of seeing things very well, actually way better than most. And when you read about his life and how it worked at Apple, even if the guy was clearly a fierce opponent, he still was very open to arguments and debate and knew how to draw back when he didn't had arguments to back his position.

For example, he actually was against bringing the iPod to Windows, eventually when it became clear that he really didn't had any reason not to, he changed his mind, same thing with letting third-party write Apps for the iPhone.

I've read a lot about Steve Jobs over the years and watched almost all the interview he did. He was intense, but he really wasn't a blinded dogmatic like how most peoples seem to describe him.

Issaacson related a story speaking to Steve's versatility that went something like this: Steve had a pet peacock in his yard, for some reason it bothered the neighbors, who voiced their concern to him. Steve replied that he'd found that he wasn't that fond of it either.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Just because there is a market for something doesn't mean that Apple always has to compete in it. There's a market for computers that are less than $200 - it doesn't mean that Apple should automatically compete there.

I think that in general Steve Jobs is generally right about the user-experience, a big screen is usually better. The only thing that I think of though is that using a 7 inch iPad in bed would be a lot more comfortable, but I guess that's also a use case where you can say that the phone is what you should be using if you want to rest comfortably on your side.

I think that Apple would probably be best off focusing on a limited number of products, so I'm hesitant to suggest that Apple create a smaller iPad, but it sounds like the pressure to compete there is going to eventually win out and Apple will possibly compete here very soon.

It's not like they're actually making a new product, though.
They're just making a different size for a product that's been around for 3 years now. It's Tim's vision (and it was also Steve's), that the tablet is the future, and it'll eventually replace the computers, so it's good that they'll throw in a tablet that is more affordable. More people will use it, and that vision they have could happen faster...

And it'd also be a better option to give kids, instead of spending +800 dollars on a laptop or computer, they can spend about 200/300 on a tablet, which will full fill pretty much all the basic needs of a child's/teenagers use with tech.

Just see it as adding more sizes to a product that exists, just like we have 13' and 15' inch MacBooks...

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007

Just the same I'm glad I tried the Nexus 7. For the Android experience I prefer my large screen Android phone ... renders text better than the N7 and fits in the pocket too. If not using the phone then it's an iPad sized tablet for me, the screen is the perfect size for a tablet, IMO.

Doesn't mean that Apple won't make a 7" tablet, there's a market there, but I'm convinced anything smaller than an iPad is a poorer user experience.

I do not like my Nexus 7 as much as I thought I would. The app experience is disappointing to say the least, although I'm hopeful that will change, even though I can't say that I am very optimistic as nothing I have seen from Google so far is showing me that Google is doing anything other than spouting BS about how they are fixing fragmentation when in reality are doing nothing whatsoever about it.

Overall, I like the 7" form factor a lot more than the 7.85" form factor from Apple that is rumored because I can fit the Nexus 7 in my pockets still, and just don't see a form factor the size of the 7.85" iPad fitting. But I'll re-evaluate that when it comes out.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Let Apple release it and see what the market has to $ay. I have a feeling it will be successful and may even lead to the 9.7" iPad being discontinued in favor of a larger iPad, maybe 11-12" so there's a bigger size difference between the two.

So maybe in a couple of years, it could be the choice between a 7.85" iPad and an 11" iPad.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
Give me a smaller iPad with Retina and I'm in

I love my current new Ipad, but a smaller one would rock too. Though I'm in a market for a higher capacity iPod Touch 64 GB+ capacity. Would be cool to have an iPad Mini with phone capacity and just use Bluetooth headset for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.