EDGE and battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Jan 24, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey everyone

i know edge is supposed to be 'slow' but sometimes i can hardly get a signal, and it frequently drops. i'm indoors but i'm also in the middle of boston... should i be concerned? outside works better.

also, i have been using it extensively for the past day or so (just got it :) ) and i find that the battery discharges quickly. i have been doing a lot of web browsing (well, trying) and listening to music. normal?

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

That all sounds normal to me.

And I, too, have noticed EDGE eats up battery life - if you use it on Airplane Mode, it lasts way longer.

3. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i need to be able to use the uh... phone part sometimes ;)

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

get an app called services and disable edge only.

5. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Of course, but if you're in an area where you're not getting edge, anyway, or especially on the subway or something, you could always switch to Airplane Mode; it's just one little button in Settings, not too hard to toggle back and forth.

7. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

I hope Apple better release something native once the SDK comes out then.

8. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but putting it in airplane mode disconnects me from the GSM network also... i still need that at all times.

9. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Look guys, as much as what I say next may be counter-intuitive, it has been verified with regards to the iPhone: Wi-Fi consumes less battery per unit of time than EDGE does. This is why I KEEP Wi-Fi on on my iPhone....Only resort to EDGE if I have to. If none of you have heard this, and care to bother me such that I have to find the link of the study and prove it to you, then ask, and I will.