Edge and Push Email???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marcjcd, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Marcjcd macrumors member

Can someone who has the technical knowledge explain to me how EDGE can possibly work with push email??? As it is now, when my iPhone is set to check email every 15 minutes I have at least 5 calls a day directed to voicemail while EDGE is connecting/downloading/etc. If push email is coming in June/July how is this going to be possible. I could only imagine how many calls will automatically go to voicemail for anyone who gets a great deal of mail on multiple accounts on the iPhone daily.

THANKS!!!

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

If you have a Yahoo mail account, you can get push email right now. It's the only push service built into the iPhone atm.

3. Marcjcd thread starter macrumors member

I understand that... what I'm asking about is when the SDK is released and push email is available through the exchange server. Is iPhone going to immediately forward calls to voice mail every time an email is being downloaded because if thats so and you get a lot of emails you will have quite a few calls per day going to voicemail. As it is now I have a few calls directed to voicemail per day because my iPhone is checking email every 15 minutes. If its going to do this as we move forward on the exchange server I can see some problems missing many calls.

4. Jfr macrumors newbie

Well, this won't be an issue with the 3G iP!

-JR

5. EnderTW macrumors 6502

The iphone will never be taken as a serious smartphone until it gets 3g. Enterprise is fine, but you show me what company, forbes 500 company will look at the iPhone when it suffers the problem of DATA and VOICE not being able to be used at the same time.

To me this was bigger then the SDK problem.

Which brings me to the point, the official release of the firmware will definitely coincide with a 3G Iphone release.

6. adamjay79 macrumors newbie

I would have to disagree. Many BB users who are on ATT w/o 3G.

7. Jfr macrumors newbie

That would be every BB user on any network!

8. Marcjcd thread starter macrumors member

Yes it would but I would have to agree with EnderTW... Blackberry's dont automatically push your calls to voicemail nearly as much as my iPhone does on a daily basis. I get over 100 emails a day combined on 4 different addresses and at least 5 calls a day to go voicemail without ringing because the phone is downloading. This never happened with my blackberry. EnderTW is correct, this is a larger problem then being able to play games on my iPhone.

This thread wasnt made to "bash" the iPhone... I LOVE IT and wont be changing back BUT I really would like to know what they intend on doing about this problem. Makes me think more and more that Apple's intentions from the start were to release 3rd party apps at the same approximate time that they release iPhone 2 3G.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I can honestly say I've never experienced that. I get anywhere from 20-250 emails a day, depending on how busy of a day it is. Looking at my inbox, yesterday alone in a 4 hour period there are 37 emails still there that I didn't delete (and plenty I did). I have never once had a call go straight to voicemail due to it checking mail.

However, based on all recent rumor and "news" from various analysts and stuff, I think it's pretty certain a 3G phone will be here in May/June. Most recent article I read had the figures of 3 million 3G phones at the end of may, with an additional 8 million by July in addition to a few million more of the current gen iPhone..

10. Marcjcd thread starter macrumors member

Do you have your phone set to automatically check emails or manual. I get minimum 100 per day (usually more like 200) and I can be sitting next to the phone and get the voicemail notification without the phone ringing and full signal because the phone was downloading.

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

My understanding was that this is an issue with ATT and EDGE. Any phone on ATT EDGE will send a call to voicemail when using data, BB or otherwise. Maybe BBs work better on Verizon and Sprint that use EVDO. People see these BBs and assume its the same everywhere.

12. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Yes, set to every 15 minutes, have 2 IMAP accounts on the phone.

13. Jfr macrumors newbie

Negative. EVDO cannot do simultaneous voice and data either. Currently, only AT&T's UMTS can do simultaneous V & D. A Blackberry for this network is forthcoming.

-JR

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

So this problem exists with every smartphone that isn't 3G? If so people should stop whining about the iPhone when most of the other phones have the same issue.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

most other phones - I havent seen a non 3G phone in the UK in a long long time perhaps the really really old phones that are entry level might not have 3G.

I had a 3G phone (I got that free as well) 2 and a half years ago and they were around before that. It is really poor that the iPhone only has edge and there is no escaping that (yes I have an iPhone)

16. Jfr macrumors newbie

Correct.
    And people would've been very upset with Apple if they had come out with a 3G iPhone first. The battery life from the 3G chipsets that were available at the time of the phone's developement (2+ years previous to launch) were horrible. The battery wouldn't have lasted half a day. Totally unacceptable to many folks, including Steve Jobs and us here at Cingular.

-JR

17. AFKMatrix macrumors member

You obviously havn't looked at a Blackberry phone recently.... I bought my BB 8300 back in September 2007 and it doesn't have 3G or wifi, its only with the recent 8310 i think that Wifi has come in and I am no Blackberry nerd but I think there still isn't a 3G BB out (could be wrong on this)

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well no I was talking about standard consumer phones such as the very outdated K800. If they have it then the iPhone should have it. The iPhone suffered because of the American market which is sort of fair enough due to Apple being American but narrow minded at the same time.