EDGE availability in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by enigmatic2, Feb 8, 2008.

1. enigmatic2 macrumors member

Hi, I finally bought an iPhone (the 16GB upgrade made the decision easier!) Anyway, it's all great, with the exception of non-wifi usage. I'm in the centre of Belfast, and according to O2's website I should have their highest quality of network connection, i.e. 3G/EDGE.

All I'm getting though, as far as I can tell, is a GPRS signal - the wi-fi symbol is replaced by a little blue box and iphonespeedtest.com shows 45.1 kbps. Is this down to O2's EDGE availability or my phone settings? If I have a true EDGE connection, shouldn't I get the little E symbol?

2. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Obviously you can't get 3G on the iPhone. But you're correct - if you're getting the box, then you're getting GPRS.

EDGE isn't massively faster than GPRS.

Sounds like you're just in a bad reception area. I would stress about it, as I doubt you'd see a massive difference in speed between EDGE and GPRS.

I'm in the same boat BTW!

3. enigmatic2 thread starter macrumors member

Well, sure. But it's just so slow (and in fact without a true EDGE or wifi connection the YouTube app refuses to work!) I must say I was expecting a faster connection - not 3G speeds, but faster than what I'm getting.

4. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

As was I. About 10% of the time I actually get an EDGE connection. Other than that.. Nothing except GPRS!

Yey for us "UKers".

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

EDGE is patchy at best in the UK - in large cities, it's often (but not always) available. Outside, you can pretty much forget it, sorry.

It's not actually THAT much faster than GPRS anyhow.

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

EDGE might be slow compared to 3G HSDPA, but its fast enough compared to GPRS. I max out at 40kbps on GPRS, and I get 220kbps on EDGE. Thats over 5x faster - enough to make an excruciatingly slow experience a usable one. GRPS was made to browse WAP sites, not full websites. I would NOT want to use Safari on GRPS!

7. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

I suspect that with firmware 1.1.2 (can't vouch for 1.1.3), the edge symbol (the 'E') does not always appear when you are getting edge service. I certainly seem to get speeds suggesting edge connectivity with just the blue square there and a couple of colleagues at work agree that this appears to be the case with their phones too.

Obviously not really a help if you have actually tested your speeds, but still worth mentioning I thought :)

Alec

8. isooz macrumors member

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but do iphones access WAP? I know mine doesn't (cos it's tesco :rolleyes:) but do other networks?

9. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

The iPhone browser can't read WML files, which I think is the wap stuff. I was having a look through at their developer's stuff just this morning so am pretty confident that this is right.

I have been very fortunate with Edge (in London) in that I have had full signal Edge at home and at work and this is more than usable. I have a friend with a 3g phone but he could never get a signal which rather negated the whole thing.

10. enigmatic2 thread starter macrumors member

I'm on 1.1.3 - all I can go on are the speeds I'm getting, which as I say represent no more than GPRS performance. I'm going to try the phone in different areas of the city over the weekend to see if things improve...

11. enigmatic2 thread starter macrumors member

What speeds are you achieving with Edge, out of interest?

12. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I find edge coverage very good here in south Wales, but a lot of the time I can get wifi, in work, at home, and here in macdonalds