edge better than expected

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redgaz26, Nov 11, 2007.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

well that's me back at work and first time I've tried edge and I have to say it'd far better than expected. Youtube is working well and general loading of pages is excellent
    overall I'm well pleased with the phone. Hope everyone who had problems on Friday has been sorted out and are enjoying their phone

2. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I think that Edge and GPRS speeds are great. UK are getting a lot faster GPRS and Edge speeds then the USA. I think USA Edge is topping out at 236 KBPS while in the UK, some of us are getting that on GPRS, and getting 300-400 KBPS on Edge.

:)

3. jagardner1984 macrumors newbie

I am unsure the precise speeds I am achieving, but having expected EDGE to be virtually useless, or so the 3g brigade would have you believe, I was extremely pleasantly surprised. Not blisteringly quick, but perfectly respectable certainly.

4. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I've only found EDGE once so far, and that was in a tiny 1metre by 1metre square in the middle of a road!

The GPRS speeds seem plenty fast enough for me to pick up my emails and check the news using Safari. I'm a happy man.

5. kis macrumors 65816

I find EDGE extremely slow here in Switzerland. Coverage is excellent, but pages take forever to load in Safari. I had an HTC TyTN before with UMTS / HSDPA - I guess it's a matter of perception.

kis

6. smr macrumors 6502a

I was also expecting our non-3G phones to be slow (I had originally planned to wait for the 3G iPhone, but then decided I couldn't wait that long!). I only get GPRS at home, but picked up EDGE in Telford town centre yesterday. I was using the Maps app, and was surprised just how quickly the maps (and even satellite photos) loaded. It didn't really seem any slower than with Wi-fi at home.

I just hope O2 get their act together and get the EDGE network upgrades rolled out ASAP!

7. Project macrumors 68020

Its much better than I expected too. Most pages load in 6-7 seconds.

8. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

I heard a lot of people complaining about EDGE being unbearable so I was really worried when I went into work yesterday and everyone wanted to look at my iPhone and see Safari and other bits. But my fears were put to rest when we connected to EDGE and it seemed to be pretty quick - I was very impressed!

9. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Yes, completely agree am certainly very happy.

10. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I am on the edge network for the first time now and its faster than I thought it would be.

One happy iphone owner here.

11. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

256Kbps on GPRS is not physically possible. The theoretical (that nobody does) maximum is 170Kbps and the practical maximum is ~60Kbps. 236Kbps is the maximum possible on EDGE.

(for GPRS info see http://www.theunwired.net/?item=speed-how-fast-is-gprs-and-what-s-the-maximum-today-you-can-reach )

Try http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html which is designed for iphone. I get 121Kbps.