Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nparmelee

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2008
We were just there a few weeks ago, didn't look that hard for free wifi, but the Edge service was just fine. Did get on to a few free wifi's when stopping at restaurants.

robhedin

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
As far as WDW is concerned, at the parks, WiFi is locked down -- they use it for the cash registers, but guests can't access it. The resorts do tend to have WiFi in the lobbies (that I think might be free), but most rooms at Disney Resorts provide HSIA via wired 10/100 ethernet for a fee (around $12/day I think, although I could be off there).

Edge access within the parks is spotty at best-- they limit the number of cell towers on property. Sometimes you get instant response, sometimes you can sit just waiting. A good bit of that I'm sure has to do with the number of people trying to piggyback onto the same towers though.

Off property, service is about what you'd expect-- Edge is fine, WiFi is as you find it (for pay at the "classier" hotels/resorts like the Hilton, free at the "cheaper" resorts like Hampton Inn). Several restaurants seem to offer free WiFi (like Denny's I believe), but these will tend to not be on Disney property.

I live in the area and am at WDW quite frequently (read every weekend or two).

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Both WDW and Disneyland...

As far as WDW is concerned, at the parks, WiFi is locked down -- they use it for the cash registers, but guests can't access it. The resorts do tend to have WiFi in the lobbies (that I think might be free), but most rooms at Disney Resorts provide HSIA via wired 10/100 ethernet for a fee (around $12/day I think, although I could be off there).

are "secure WiFi" and require a password. I was just at Disneyland during the Xmas holidays and EDGE network was working just fine.

As much time as you spend at WDW, maybe you should look in to a "part time" job! As a former Disney Family Member (aka: Employee), the perks were pretty nice and I was given a "Silver Circle Pass Holder" and I would meet four friends or family members at the front gate and their park entrance fee was free. Just a thought. :cool:

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Disney pay and working hours suck for the most part if you are full time(especially in florida). Oh, and vacation time is determined not by how long one has worked for the company, but how many hours you work a year. There are the nice park perks and medical.

Oh and wi-fi is something like $ for one hour or $$ for 24hrs straight. Don't remember exactly how much.

Panera Bread has free wi-fi and about 15 min. from downtown disney.

robhedin

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
As much time as you spend at WDW, maybe you should look in to a "part time" job! As a former Disney Family Member (aka: Employee), the perks were pretty nice and I was given a "Silver Circle Pass Holder" and I would meet four friends or family members at the front gate and their park entrance fee was free. Just a thought. :cool:

As a professional software developer, they really don't pay anywhere near enough for me, but the wife took a job with them at their central reservation office for about a year and enjoyed herself. Of course she kept giving back somewhere between 30%-40% of her paychecks back to Company-D (the cast store) [I'm being serious here, btw].

rob.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
You have my sympathies...

Of course she kept giving back somewhere between 30%-40% of her paychecks back to Company-D (the cast store) [I'm being serious here, btw]. rob.

Rob! My "off-duty supervisor" always took advantage of my "employee discount" to the point that we both had (15) matching jackets and memorabilia that takes up 50% of our living space!

Any Disney employees out there that can share some info abut the current WiFi solutions on property? :cool:

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I am coming from North Wales for two weeks on the 12th of june. Anyone else going at this time? I am staying at the Port Orleans: French Quarter. Cant wait I love florida and orlando.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.