Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I have an Edge iPhone that was upgrade to 2.0 last night. I notice that with 2.0, or maybe I'm missing something, that the passcode lock feature can not be turned off. You have Immediate and then 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hour up to 4 hour, but no never. So, I am now forced to have to enter a passcode.

Has anyone else experienced this or found how I can disable the passcode?

I also notice that in the passcode menu there is something about SMS display, which I guess is the ability to not display text messages on the phone when they come in, which I remember people complained about last year.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I believe you disable the passlock by not having a passcode...

I am willing to try that, but how do I not have a passcode? I went in a tried to change, entered all 0000 and that became my password, if I hit cancel at the change passcode screen then it cancels the changing and goes back to the previous.

iPhelim

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Assuming you have one set up go Settings> General> Passcode Lock then at the top is a button saying 'Turn Passcode Off' you will need to enter your passcode (0000?) then it should be turned off.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Assuming you have one set up go Settings> General> Passcode Lock then at the top is a button saying 'Turn Passcode Off' you will need to enter your passcode (0000?) then it should be turned off.

Well, not in iPhone 2.0, or at least not on my phone. I looked and the only option I have in that menu is to Change the password, no option to Turn Passcode Off.

What I had to do was do a Reset of all settings. That turned it off and I won't turn it on again. However, I've lost my exchange email that I set up, so that didn't stay, another issue for another thread.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
So, I figured it out. When you enable Microsoft Exchange email account, that process forces you to have to turn on a Passcode. It appears when you let that process turn on the passcode it removes the Turn Passcode Off menu option, so you are forced to have to deal with a Passcode when using a Microsoft Exchange email setup. So, the two were related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.