Edge iPhone on 2.0 - PassCode Lock

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by borg1of2, Jul 12, 2008.

1. borg1of2 macrumors member

I have an Edge iPhone that was upgrade to 2.0 last night. I notice that with 2.0, or maybe I'm missing something, that the passcode lock feature can not be turned off. You have Immediate and then 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hour up to 4 hour, but no never. So, I am now forced to have to enter a passcode.

Has anyone else experienced this or found how I can disable the passcode?

I also notice that in the passcode menu there is something about SMS display, which I guess is the ability to not display text messages on the phone when they come in, which I remember people complained about last year.

2. Warpdrv macrumors member

I believe you disable the passlock by not having a passcode...

3. borg1of2 thread starter macrumors member

I am willing to try that, but how do I not have a passcode? I went in a tried to change, entered all 0000 and that became my password, if I hit cancel at the change passcode screen then it cancels the changing and goes back to the previous.

4. iPhelim macrumors regular

Assuming you have one set up go Settings> General> Passcode Lock then at the top is a button saying 'Turn Passcode Off' you will need to enter your passcode (0000?) then it should be turned off.

5. borg1of2 thread starter macrumors member

Well, not in iPhone 2.0, or at least not on my phone. I looked and the only option I have in that menu is to Change the password, no option to Turn Passcode Off.

What I had to do was do a Reset of all settings. That turned it off and I won't turn it on again. However, I've lost my exchange email that I set up, so that didn't stay, another issue for another thread.

6. borg1of2 thread starter macrumors member

So, I figured it out. When you enable Microsoft Exchange email account, that process forces you to have to turn on a Passcode. It appears when you let that process turn on the passcode it removes the Turn Passcode Off menu option, so you are forced to have to deal with a Passcode when using a Microsoft Exchange email setup. So, the two were related.