Edge NOT WORKING/Icon Disappeared Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ayasinsk, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I have first generation iPhone 8gb. I got it the very first day it came out in June of 07. Has been a perfect phone up untill this morning. My edge is not working and the edge "E" symbol is completely gone from my screen. Everything on the phone works just fine, and I can go online with my WIFI, howerver for one reason or another edge can't be initiated. My edge connection has been on and off yesturday but came back last night. And this morning I noticed the icon is entirely gone. Here are the steps I have already completed.

1. Reset.
    2. Hard Reset.
    3. Remove/Reinstall SIM card.
    4. Reset without SIM card.
    5. Restored.

After all of that the EDGE is still not working. I'm beginning to think the modem on my phone broke. I don't think this is a data network outage. I don't want to get the 3G iphone cause I wanted get a good use out of this one and I'm waiting for the 32GB one, but looks like I might have no choice.

[​IMG]

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

They are probably having problems with the network. Did you ever think it could be on AT&T's end instead of your end?

3. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

4. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I finally got my Edge "E" icon back, but the internet is still not working. Now as I was typing this my icon dissapeared again. WTF??? I also noticed that my signal would drop and then come back again every now and then. Also my visual voicemail is not working. I think my phone is gone.

I'm in Indianapolis, Indiana. Anyone else experiencing this?

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Have you verified with AT&T that data is otherwise functional? I've had issues where I saw the "E" and no data was coming through, and AT&T was able to verify outages in my area.

Also, does wifi work?

Just a thought. If otherwise things work great, then yea, your phone is hosed.

6. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

Well I can't really call ATT cause I"m at work right now. Just tried restoring it the second time, still nothing. My wifi works just fine. It's funny because I was just talking about how this is the original iPhone which I got back in June 29th of 07 and it never gave me any problems. I really hope it's ATT issue and not my iPhone. :(

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Sometimes the AT&T network is having problems. Don't automatically restore your iPhone if suddenly EDGE stops working. If your iPhone was working fine yesterday, then it could just be an outage. I had the same exact thing happen to me last month. I could text and make calls but, no internet unless I was on wifi. This lasted a few days. You could try driving somewhere and see if it comes back... that would confirm if it's just your town or area. For me, EDGE would work at work and then completely be gone at home and I only live 20 minutes from work.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

9. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

After atleast 6 hours the EDGE on my phone started to work again, so it seems it was some data autage. Shouldn't have restored my iphone this morning, oh well. Atleast I know my phone still kicking after one and a half years. :)

10. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

You restored your iPhone? Wow, that's a little drastic. That's like reinstalling Mac OS X or Windows when your cable modem stops working because the cable is out.

Seriously, the next time it happens, give it a day or two and it should start working again.

11. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

Agreed.

TS: Also, how come you say you can't call AT&T because you're working, but you can hang out on MR and post here? Uh...

12. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

Well in my defence I never had edge outage before, so I thought I either had a glitch or my modem stopted working so restoring it made sence. Well now I know.

Anyways

I got a computer job so I can be online while prentending to work. I go online rarely though, do alot of diligent work. Alot more what I can say about alot of people working here though.

13. oldskoolrokr macrumors newbie

3g icon gone but edge is there?

I lost my 3g but edge is still in service ?
    The 3g has been down since this morning.
    I am in los angeles and it has been raining this morning .
    Maybe the weather has something to do with it?
    This is the first time in 2 months since i owned my 3g iphone that any network problems have acuured.
    Any one else lose 3g today?:mad:

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

EDGE goes out all the time. relax.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

What's your location? This happened to me for about the same amount of elapsed time today.

16. krazym0fo08 macrumors newbie

my edge icon has disappeared as well. and i live in los angeles county. it's been gone for about 24 hours. what should i do?

17. daisuke07 macrumors regular

he already said indianapolis, indiana

18. nima macrumors member

nima

what does the blue o represent because that shows on my iphone alot of times.

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

GPRS. An antiquated cellular that is mostly found in rural areas. Very slow data.

20. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Heh... Pure comedy.

21. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I have a similar issue (kind of), mine will act weird when it switches from edge to 3g it will go to No service and will not get service back unless I turn the phone off and then on again and that doesn't always work. Some times I will go to the phone app and the little busy symbol will spin at the top and I can not make a call or I will open it and make a call and it will act like it is calling and the call timer will be counting but the call will not go through it will just sit there. I have an appt at the Apple Store this evening to see what's up. I got this one last week and it started doing it the day I got but I went out of town and hoped it was just a AT&T thing but it did it out of town also and is still doing it. Any ideas?

22. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

Update on my previous post, I went by The Apple Store and they were able to reproduce the issue and said it seemed like a bad 3G chipset and swapped it out no questions asked. Hopefully this one will have no problems.

23. krazym0fo08 macrumors newbie

still having problem. whenver i turn off wifi edge is not showing up. should i reset phone?

24. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Threads like these are funny to me. People freaking out and restoring their iPhones over network outages?

EDGE was out in my area this morning as well, but it's back now. Lets not start Y2K.

25. ILBandit macrumors regular

Edge / data not working?????

Welcome to AT&T !!!! LOL

It happens constantly in my area, after a while, you learn to just get used to it. Thank God for wifi. Because we sure cant rely on AT&T providing the data service that we pay so much a month for to actually USE. :confused:

Yes, I am being sarcastic, I'm not very impressed with ATT here lately.