EDGE not working on 2G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benh-, Aug 1, 2008.

1. benh- macrumors member

Ok, I'll just be brief here; my iPhone is legally pay and go. I bought the web and wifi bolt on from O2 yesterday. I got my confirmation text through, but EDGE doesn't work. My area has EDGE, because my mates 3G is on it all the time. (3G doesn't work where I live). I've tried turning EDGE on, but there is no option to do this. Any ideas?

2. benh- thread starter macrumors member

Anybody? Took it into O2 today, he synced it with iTunes and it seemed to work (deleting all my bl00dy apps and music), but only for a while. Got home, and it's not working. We do have EDGE coverage where I live :)

3. benh- thread starter macrumors member

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Clarify what you mean by no EDGE service. Are you getting no bars? Are you getting an error message when you try to access data?

5. benh- thread starter macrumors member

I'm not getting the E anywhere. I try go on Safari and it says I have no cellular data. Could EDGE be turned off? If so, how do I turn it on?

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

On the first gen iPhone? No. EDGE can't be turned off. (Except airplane mode, but that turns off voice too, which I'm assuming is ok?)

If your friend on the 3G phone is getting EDGE, then something's busted with the radio on yours is my guess.

7. benh- thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, my mate always gets EDGE round here. What do you mean by the radio: and also, its a brand new iPhone. The one of my mate was bust: they swapped it for me at the Apple Store. Where the E should go, I'm getting a square with a black dot in it. What's this?

Thanks for the swift response.

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The black dot represents GPRS, which is the technology that came prior to EDGE.

With GPRS you should still be able to access the internet, just very slowly.

If you think you should be getting EDGE where you're located and you're not, that means that the phones not picking something up, hence my theory that the celluar radio is somehow not working.

If you got it at the Apple Store, take it back and explain what's going on.

9. benh- thread starter macrumors member

O2 are no help WHATSOEVER. Went in there today, he fiddled about with the settings for about 2hrs, and after I went out of the store it worked. But worked for about an hour. He synced the iPhone with the laptop in store, deleting all my apps and music, so when I got home, I synced it with my iTunes, and now, Edge doesn't work. Also, I cannot get on the internet with GPRS. It says no cellular data.

Thanks very much though for responding to my question =]

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Try a restore with your Apps and everything installed.

11. benh- thread starter macrumors member

Already did that, didn't work :(