EDGE o2 iphone unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wfielder84246, Feb 17, 2008.

1. wfielder84246 macrumors member

Hi, this is my first post here.

I'm thinking about buying an Iphone, unlocking it and using my current o2 'online 30' sim card. I'm very wary of unlocking it myself so I'm going to be using iphoneunlockuk.com. I know there are mixed views on the service that these guys offer but I'm the sort of guy who needs peace of mind that I will have a real person to talk to if things go wrong.

The only thing at the moment which is stopping me is EDGE. I do not want to access the internet using this service, I'm a poor student who can't afford the bolt on from o2 :D This means I only want to access internet, email, you tube etc using only WIFI. I have done countless searches on this topic but the ones available are either old [concerning previous updates], US Iphone or other UK network providers.

So, is it possible to disable the EDGE function, and how is it done?

Thank you very much for reading this, sorry if this is a nuisance question with an easy answer.

2. neob macrumors newbie

Point, click and enjoy

Go to www.ziphone.org and run the app before you use iTunes.

Worked on three iPhones for me, one O2, T-Mobile and Orange all flawless.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

you need to edit the settings of your iphone
    this isnt easy if your not sure about stuff like this (it involves connecting to the phone using a computer and editing files)

or you could try the services.app from installer (i presume you have this) and that has an option to disable edge, although it doesnt work for me...

and neob is giving a link to unlock it yourself
    its really not hard... just run a program

4. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys.

That website looks good, I'll have to think about that before I purchase my future Iphone. As to the EDGE disablement, is there a method on the internet to edit the settings via computer? I'm running leopard. Have also heard you can ring o2 and they will stop internet access via edge/gprs, will have to ring them tomorrow and see what they say.

5. sananda macrumors 68020

as of earlier this month you can get a free bolt on with online 30 which can be the data one.

6. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I'm using a UK jailbroken iphone (1.1.2) and an old contract O2 sim (from another contract with free mins and texts) and used Bossprefs http://code.google.com/p/bossprefs/ to disable Edge. Easy to do and works fine.
    BTW How much does the Online 30 sim cost?..cos if its £30 a month you might as well pay the £35 a month for the proper O2 iphone contract.

7. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

If i could get the data bolt on for free it will be awesome! The online 30 is £30 a month and consists of 1000 texts, 400 minutes and unlimited o2 to o2 calls. I have 13 months remaining so unlocking is the only way I can afford to own one. I'll be ringing o2 to later to see what they say!

8. sananda macrumors 68020

i think you would have to swap the unlimited o2 to o2 for the data bolt on. but you should be getting 1200 mins on online 30: http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simonly

9. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

Mine isn't sim only though, I have a Samsung G600 which I plan on selling in order to fund the Iphone purchase.

Thanks for helping guys.

10. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

O2 would waive the rest of your 13 month contract and start you on a new 18 month iPhone contract at £35 a month if you wanted.

11. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

I would do that but the iphone tariff is guff-kack compared to my current one I think.

12. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

How does that work? Do you buy the phone at Carphone Warehouse and just never connect it?

13. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I would buy the Iphone and then run the unlocking software on it before connecting it to Itunes. Think this is pretty standard when unlocking Iphone. Anyone else got any ideas regarding EDGE and whether or not it can be disable on 1.1.3 and if so any step by step methods?? Thanks a lot guys!

14. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

1. Go to Carphone Warehouse
    2. Ask for an iPhone
    3. Give them your name, address, inside leg measurement, yadda, yadda, yadda :rolleyes:
    4. Sign the (frankly pointless) bit of paper which says you know about activating and how the phone is useless without activating
    5. Listen to the Carphone Warehouse person say how stupid the bit of paper from step 4 is given that you get to keep the only copy
    6. Take your iPhone home
    7. Unbox
    8. Visit MacRumors
    9. Follow one of the many sets of instructions telling you how to jailbreak/[h]activate/unlock your iPhone for free
    10. ENJOY :D
    11. E-mail cdunstone[at]cpw.co.uk (e-mail address from their own booklet) and ask to be taken off their mailing lists (as they will begin to send you paper based spam advertising their broadband services, along with a nice booklet telling you about all the wonderful accessories you can get for your iPhone - which has a big picture of an iPhone on it and comes wrapped in transparent polythene so anyone who sees your mail can see you have an iPhone)

This has got to annoy Carphone Warehouse as they make no money on selling the iPhone (all their money comes from the contracts from what I've been told) and so they are more than likely loosing money overall (unless they are getting enough trade from selling accessories for the iPhone to cover the costs of storing the iPhones themselves).

Alec

P.S. I do not condone, recommend or support the above steps. Buyer beware. YMMV et al ;)

15. neob macrumors newbie

to EDGE or not to EDGE

wfielder84246 each time i have unlocked an iphone for someone i have had to manually enter the EDGE details, simply leave the EDGE stuff empty and the message "no EDGE" pops up when you try to use 'tinternet outside of WiFi.

Also the link I mentioned earlier has updated the excellent SW to unclude a GUI for OS X (its V2.4 now)

Happy unlocking.

FYI a good list of UK EDGE carrier details at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=359488

16. punbros macrumors newbie

I am using a unlocked US phone with my current O2 contract. I went to the setting but there is no option for EDGE there. Though I think I could use the internet as I was billed for about 3 pounds recently for data usage.

I called O2 about the extra charges so they gave me a "Unlimited Web" bolt on for free (though the site states that the free bolt ons are not for 12 months contract, they gave me anyways). So does it mean I can surf net (on my unlocked iPone) while on the go and not get charged?

17. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

So, hypothetically speaking, if I was to buy an iPhone and do whatever was required to it and pop in my T-mobile SIM then it would give me exactly what I get under my current contract?

18. spinstorm macrumors 65816

DONT buy from carphone warehouse as for some reason O2 give you less bolt ons and less time to return it if your happy plus they do a credit check - whereas you can buy it from O2 just walking in and using your card!

you DO NOT need to unlock to use an O2 contract SIM - you just need to activate it!

Use ziphone for that - as that easiest although I personally feel that the old fashioned 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 soft upgrade is more reliable - ziphone takes 45 seconds and your in! easy!

as for the O2 contract - for £35 it is now 600 minutes, 500 texts and unlimited data! to me that seems pretty good! I think for online 30 you can get more txts but you dont get free data and you get less minutes - and if you legitimately activate the iPhone its much more reliable if something goes wrong as Apple/O2 will fix it/swap it right away!

19. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

Ziphone

Today I bought my Iphone from o2. I ran Ziphone and installed the bsd systems and everything is working on my old orange sim. It is currently running 1.1.2. Should I upgrade to 1.1.3? EDGE is disabled currently, if I upgrade to 1.1.3 and insert my o2 sim will everything be okay?

20. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

i heard that you dont need to unlock if you plan to stay on O2 - if you got your phone in the UK and you want to use another O2 SIM - that's fine as long as you jailbreak it.

21. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

you responded in my other thread :) i have two sim cards you see, orange and o2 which i would like to use :D

Also:

When Orange, payasyougo sim is inserted, edge settings are available to edit.
    When o2 online 30 sim is inserted, edge settings are NOT available to edit and edge still works when roaming is set to off and wifi is set to off.

I phone o2 and asked to disable any wap/gprs/edge activity from my mobile phone in order to avoid charges. The man was very polite and helpful and said "no problem, I'll put a bar on that kind of activity so you wont get billed for it, should be operational in the next 2-24 hours however you might not be able to receive picture message."

Which is perfect cos i never send picture messages anyway :)

22. punbros macrumors newbie

As long as you have no added bolt ons (free), I think they can add unlimited web bolt on.

I called Customer Service few days ago and the kind lady added the bolt on to my account even though the site specifically stated that free bolt ons are not available in 12 month contract.

23. spinstorm macrumors 65816

You can change the EDGE settings EVEN When you have an O2 SIM in the phone.

If you swap the SIMs while your in EDGE settings then change the settings that are on screen with your O2 SIM in (to any incorrect settings) it will save it as new and will not put the real settings onto the phone!

The trick is to access the EDGE settings with your orange SIM - the bit where it says password etc, then WITHOUT EXITING the EDGE settings swap the SIM card over!

Now the settings will either clear automatically and you will see the O2 EDGE settings from the SIM OR the orange settings will stay on the screen - the trick is to edit whatever is on the screen so the phone thinks it has new EDGE settings already and saves it.

I would suggest simply deleting a couple of letters off each section and then exiting the EDGE settings.

Now if you go back and try and find those settings they will be gone - as you have an O2 SIM in the phone - however if you did delete stuff from the settings previously EDGE will not work and won't activate as it saved incorrect settings!

If you want EDGE back on either SIM card do a network setting restore and it will go back to the real settings - if you want to deactivate it then do the same thing again.

Alternatively you can download NetServices and that lets you turn EDGE off without changing the settings however I am not sure it works on a ZiPhone Jailbreaked iPhone on 1.1.3 yet although it will work on 1.1.2 and below.

But really if you swap the SIMs while your in EDGE settings then delete a few bits it will save it as new and will not put the real settings onto the phone!