Edge on iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by VToX, Feb 5, 2008.

1. VToX macrumors member

2. bnizzy macrumors member

i think if that were possible, it would singlehandedly render the iPhone as useless. Who would ever buy another iPhone again, especially with AT&T? haha

but i agree that would be ridiculously nice if someone could pull that off....

3G would be even better ;)

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Not unless you can find a way to put a cellular modem into the device. :cool:

Maybe an attachment that plugs in the port at the bottom?

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Get a phone with Edge/3G which can somehow share its Edge/3G connection through Wifi to the iTouch?

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

All that just to get EDGEE of the touch? Might as well get in iPhone in that case.

Apples not that stupid.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I can see why the user has asked this, if you install services.app or bossprefs it will show bluetooth and edge and by default edge will say on........ I think this is just apple being lazy and not removing iphone junk from an ipod firnmware

7. VToX thread starter macrumors member

Oh well I didn't know it had something to do with the cell phone part of the iPhone, I thought it was just exclusivle to the iPhone:eek:

8. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

The iPhone and the iPod Touch use the same exact firmware. The firmware just disables functionality based on what hardware is detected (no bluetooth, no edge, disable some apps, etc.).

9. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

this dosent seem hard in any way (if you are a programmer, or engineer). You could design a small antenna that fits into the bottom usb port, and when you are in a location with an EDGE or 3G signal (which is almost everywhere I think), you could just tether onto that signal. I dont know how cell phone signals work but wouldnt it be pretty easy, i mean, if you can get wi-fi from your house, shouldnt you be able to pick up another signal in the air, from another antenna on your iPod?

And, is it possible to get free 3G or EDGE on an iPhone by any chance???
    cuz that would be easier than making an antenna for the iPod Touch.

10. sr20det91 macrumors newbie

sr20det91

Totally possible if you have a windows media smartphone/pocketPC with wifi and data plan. I do it everyday using my AT&T tilt. www.wifirouter.com Turns your windows mobile device into an ad hok wireless router. This is the third time I posted about this today. I'm surprised more people on these forums don't know about this.
    I was about to drop a buncha money on an iphone before I found this slick little app. Its really the best of both worlds.