EDGE problems on T-Mobile 1.1.4 UK iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by James17, Apr 16, 2008.

1. James17 macrumors 6502

Got an iPhone last week from a reputable seller on Ebay. It is unlocked and has 1.1.4 software on it. I went to Italy so turned off data roaming incase extra charges. I came home today and I have installed some apps from the Installer App program. I turned Data Roaming back on. Now there is just a small rectangle icon at the top of the screen with Wifi turned off. I don't know if edge is working anymore or how to find out if it is but I can remember it working when I set it up last week.

Any suggestions or help would be gratefully appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Top-Slacker macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm planning on buying an iPhone then unlocking and using with T-Mobile UK, so whilst researching I came across this;

http://aralbalkan.com/1052

I believe it should fix your problem. :)

3. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input. I changed the password to user but the rectangle still stays there after restart.

4. Top-Slacker macrumors newbie

Hmm, in the comments section someone posted this combination;

general.t-mobile.uk
    user t-mobile
    pass one2one

Hopefully you'll have more luck with that one.

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Blue rectangle means you have a data connection.
    This is normal so do not worry, it will change to the "E" logo when you have an EDGE connection, the blue rectangle merely means that there is a GRPS connection right now.

hope this helps.

6. sananda macrumors 68020

as sparky says the blue rectangle is perfectly normal; it means you have GPRS reception. it turns to an "E" when there is EDGE reception, but since t-mobile don't have really have EDGE you won't see it much or probably at all.

7. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm glad it isn't a problem, I was worrying there. I only got it last week. Thanks for the reassurance. iPhone is excellent. :)

8. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'm satisfied now.

9. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

10. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. bluesnoop85 macrumors member

bluesnoop85

hello fellow iphoners!

1st time poster here:cool:

i too am planning on buying a iphone very soon and unlocking. but before i did i just wanted to make sure.
    Once unlocked and using t-mobile (UK) data package - web'n'walk. There will be no extra charges when accessing the internet/email. I have read in a couple of places that someone got charged for connecting to the internet even though they had w'n'w, as a GRPS connection. It could be possible they never had the correct details. Also i have read using the details mentioned some people when they restart their phone or disconnect from the internet the details disappear meaning they have to re-type them each time. Has this happened to anyone?
    Its seems you guys on here arent having any problems - so far. I just wanted to be reassured 200% that purchasing w'n'w will be no problem in terms on accessing and not being charged again.

thanks for your help.

Snoop

12. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I use T-Mobile and w&w and have no problem. had a couple of bills and they're as they should be.

If you're unsure of what settings to use, try here: http://www.the-iblog.com/guides/gprsedge-settings/

Cheers

Oli

13. bluesnoop85 macrumors member

bluesnoop85

Great cheerz Oli, definite a confidence boost :). How are the speeds with w&w for email, wap websites - news tech, sport etc.

thx again.

14. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

It's fine for anything that isn't too image intensive. Email is obviously fine too.

15. bluesnoop85 macrumors member

bluesnoop85

Ye kool. I used to have w&w on my MDA. which i used for email most of the time, and facebook odd times. i never used to go over the monthly 'fair usage' which is 1gb i believe. I even used to listen to internet radio sometimes lol.

you obviously locked it - which tool is the best in your opinion?

thanks again for ur help.

16. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I used Ziphone. There's a guide on the blog. :)

17. cBoJlo4! macrumors newbie

help !

hi, I used those EDGE settings

safari starts to load , but the edge never starts working, the whole browsing just randomly stops... and there isnt an error in the end ... Im using Iphone 1.1.4 Unlocked + jailbroken. can someone help me please, using webnwalk for 2.50 pounds for 5 days, help plz!