EDGE Quality Videos Over 3G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

YouTube videos still look horrible using a cellular network on the iPhone 3G. Why? YouTube still streams EDGE quality video, despite the fact that the 3G network is more than capable of running the WiFi quality video, and instantly, too. The only reason I could think of for them to do that is because it costs ATT less to use less bandwith to stream YouTube videos. I think we should get something going to convince Apple and ATT to at least give us the option if we want high-quality video or the horrible low quality video.

2. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

ya i know. same for everyone. youtube will probably come out with an update

3. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

yeah, there should be something where if you have 3 bars of 3g, you get the better video.

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

YouTube doesn't need an update, they already have high-quality versions of all of their videos up for the iPhone, ATT and Apple don't let us stream them over 3G.

5. tamakin macrumors member

I'm developing a new video site that's gonna blow away youtube. It's designed for the iphone and will be free for everybody. I'm fine tuning it to stream high quality video for 3G iphones. I'm putting it on installer or cydia because I already know Apple will not approve it for the appstore. Stay tuned!

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apple has been accepting video apps, even from video sharing sites that compete with YouTube. You should be fine releasing it throgh the App Store. Good luck on the service. Make sure you have really, really good servers to host the videos if you release it in the App Store ;).