Edge Speed slower after 2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dazedandlost, Sep 13, 2008.

1. dazedandlost macrumors newbie

Hi, 1st Gen iPhone with 2.1, all working very well, but my Edge download speed seems much slower than before, crawling along where it was fine before. So much so, I am considering upgrading to 3G iPhone

Anybody else seeing slow down in Edge since 2.1?

2. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

That's not possible. I haven't had an EDGE signal in several weeks now. It's all 3G around here.
    Orange County, CA. We have 3G everywhere. I don't even remember what the EDGE icon looks like.

(being helpful ... if I was you, I would take my phone to my local AT&T store or Apple Store and ask them to help you out. maybe they will say your phone has been damaged by the update and replace it for free with a 3G iPhone)

3. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Mine is the same. Try iphonespeedtest.com or testmyiphone.com and see what you're getting. On EDGE, iphonespeedtest.com reports 125.9 - 364.2 kbps for me. After several tests, it's mostly in the 130 kbps range. On testmyiphone.com, it reports download speeds of 152-282 kbps. Mostly in the 250 kbps range.

I have a 1st gen iPhone with 2.1 software.

4. gowanis macrumors 6502

i've been getting better EDGE speeds since the upgrade here in central NJ. i used to get 50-100 kbps and now i get 150-170 kbps.

i'm curious to see what happens tomorrow when i head back to work in jersey city, which has been just terrible for EDGE.

5. dazedandlost thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that a good few people (myself included) are having major issues with no reception on their iPhone after upgrading to version 2.1.

I have tested this solution and it works

Go to Settings
    General
    Network
    Cellular Data Network

The access point name is internet

Change this to open.internet

Remove the username and password

Now go back out of it to save and try again and all should be fine

6. DarthGore macrumors newbie

personally I've noticed that my EDGE speed has actually gone UP with the 2.1 release. I can sync my email and apps like facebook and even browse the net quicker since getting 2.1! Even out of EDGE coverage I've noticed it's better and quicker than before....