Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dermot81

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
There's a poster over on the Howardforums thread who says we're mostly seeing results of increased proxy server speed, rather than real network increases - he sure *sounds* like he knows what he's talking about, and it looks to me like the only test that's giving repeatable, reasonable results is the http://www.dslreports.mspeed test, which is specific to mobile...

at 190Kbps, it's showing an excellent, but realistic EDGE speed. I'd say that anything over about 210-215 with EDGE is seriously suspect, as the theoretical max is 236Kbps... under lab conditions.

Yea, I think anything over 200kbps is somewhat spurious. But still, 200kbps is a lot better than the 80kbps previously achieved on EDGE.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Yea, I think anything over 200kbps is somewhat spurious. But still, 200kbps is a lot better than the 80kbps previously achieved on EDGE.

yeah, from 10KB/s to 25KB/s, for simple website, its not bad at all, maybe several buffering for yotube video tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.