EDGE still sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gowanis, Aug 29, 2008.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

With all the talk out there about 3G problems I'd like to lodge another complaint about EDGE service for those of us who still have 1st gen iPhones.

I'm the guy always complaining about Jersey City being an EDGE dead zone. Well, it still is. If you travel south in NJ, closer to Monmouth county, EDGE is usually much better (sometimes getting 150 kbps on a good day). Today I was unable to load a single web page on my commute to work. I love my phone otherwise -- I love the ipod and the apps but this is really getting frustrating.

2. baaron macrumors newbie

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would badger the hell out of AT&T about this. EDGE is supposed to be pretty ubiquitous, so it's really stupid of them not to offer it in a pretty high population area.

Just to be sure: other phones aren't getting EDGE there either, right?

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:confused::confused:

Stop complaining!

Call up AT&T, see what they can do.
    Thats it, no reason to bring this issue up, again. EGDE is slow, its an old(er) way to get data on the go.

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

O2's Edge service seems to have significant issues. I get network errors all the time, pages just stalling for significant lengths of time, and inability to connect very regularily.

All this in areas with what the handset tells me is full reception (and areas that are known good at other times).

Apparently they have a proxy server to reduce the amount of data served over the connection itself. My suspicion is that said server is as flakey as heck.

Phazer

6. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

There's a difference between slow and almost zero service. Its inconsistent - some days it will be tolerable (50-100 kbps) and other days its dead in the same locations.

I'm amazed by the "average" EDGE speeds on the iphone network test sites. Seems that people are regularly getting close to 200 kbps but i've never seen it.

7. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

I was having awful Edge speeds on my 1st gen phone....the last week i had it i would rarely be able to open a web page or download email. its what finally prompted me to get the 3G.

8. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Edge moves slower than old people playing pee-knuckle

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I guess I live in an area where EDGE is pretty good. It's actually decently fast and almost never has dead spots here. Then again 3G is apparently great here as well. I guess that's what happens when there aren't many trees to obstruct signals.

10. Jeonat macrumors regular

I'm on O2 UK and live in a suburb where I can only get EDGE, but if I go any nearer to the city centre I get 3G which is slightly annoying, but I find EDGE speeds pretty good... about 90-100kbps. When I'm at home I use WLAN anyway so it's only when I'm waiting at the bus stop, or something, but it seems fine and fast (enough).

11. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I must say I can't complain about the EDGE service I receive in Ireland. I get around 200kbps consistently and it has never once broken down on me in the year I own my iPhone.

Yes it's nowhere near the 3-4MB service I hear some of my friends get on their iPhones here on O2 Ireland. But I won't complain. :)

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

EDGE? Sometimes I long to see that E on my iPhone... The jump from below EDGE GPRS to wifi jars.

Maybe look at getting Instapaper or similar, and preloading pages? (Or doing the same with wifi before commuting?)

13. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I believe a couple weeks ago there was a thread that said AT&T was actually cutting down service on the EDGE network.

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Which talked about the possible negative effects on EDGE network due to a push in trying to get more 3G coverage.

15. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

You mean they didn't do this when the 3G came out? That week my phone & EDGE connection dropped in half. I called AT$T and the idiot cust rep told me I had to call back from a landline in order for them to diagnose the issue. I have no landline so I just lived with the poorer service. AND he denied at the time the new roll-out of 3G service had anything to do with the degraded service which of course came out later as being true. I hate AT$T and can't wait for Apple to go with other carriers (and no, unlocking my phone is not an option).

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I tried using Edge the other day and it took me 10 minutes to load up Google :eek:

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Granted it isnt near as fast as wi-fi but EDGE most of the time loads ok for me. Downloading is slow if i get an App or something but email and webpages arent bad.