Edge UK Coverage... another topic...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lordillingworth, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

Right then, firstly i will say hello!... Hello!

I have been watching these forums for a few months, but have only ever been an ipod owner, now however i have a 20 inch 2 gig imac and i can see that i was wrong to ever believe that vista was amazing!

Anyway as of tomorrow i will be an iphone owner as well!

I have seen various discussions in various places about the 30% Edge coverage in the uk, and i have still been unable to find a map that details any of this.

I asked at the o2 shop in Oswestry on the welsh borders how the coverage for the area was, to which i got a reply that didn't even mention edge, just 'It works off wifi, theres wifi all over town... [insert list of hotspots here]...'

Then when i said yeah, buy how is edge in the general area, the two o2 employees said 'It's ok as far as i know'

As you can imagine that didn't fill me with great confidence of the edge coverage of the area! But i might be reading it completely wrongly!

Anyway i was just wandering if either there was a link you could point me towards or if there was still no news on the map front perhaps as of tomorrow we could create our own map by seeing if we could connect to edge and then posting our location and success/failure in this post!

Thanks,
    Lord i

(ps. i can't wait to start talking about macs and stuff! i love my imac!)

2. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I don't have a map of Edge coverage handy, however, if you're not in or near London, you're pretty much out of luck. :p

3. Lordillingworth thread starter macrumors regular

that's exactly what i thought!

4. Lordillingworth thread starter macrumors regular

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

There isn't a map of EDGE coverage becuase it would probably be an embarrassment for O2 to admit (and display) how little there is!

6. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Well I'm with Orange and I've had my iPhone for 2 months now, and everywhere I go - I have EDGE 'E' on my iPhone screen!

Even in places, where I thought I wouldn't have it - I do!

I'm not sure of 02's coverage, but Orange EDGE Coverage is pretty good!

7. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Yeah Orange have been supporting EDGE for years, for O2 it's spanky new for the iPhone.

It's a software upgrade that sorts things at the towers though, so we should see it more widespread as the weeks and months go on.

8. iphoneMAD macrumors newbie

iPhone on Orange & o2

I too have had a unlocked iPhone on Orange for a couple of months, but don't get fooled by the E, something to do with the unlocking, but mine displays E even when i'm not in a orange EDGE area.

I got the o2 one this week and currently it displays either the wifi symbol or a blue box, which probably means EDGE isn't active? However, i checked out data speeds side-by-side on E/Blue Box.. the o2 one was quicker!

Are o2 enhancing their GPRS until they have EDGE in more places?
    :apple:PowerBook G4:apple:
    :apple:Pretty much every iPod ever released:apple:
    :apple:Unlocked & o2 iPhone:apple:

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

1.1.1 didn't have a way to distinguish between plain GPRS and EDGE because in the US they're both available where one is available.

1.1.2 has two different icons - a plain blue square for GPRS and an E for EDGE.

Safari seems to have some very smart caching, making the connection often look faster than it is... even speed tests just get fooled. The closest one I found is http://www.iphonespeedtest.com/ but even that seems to get it wrong (it sometimes overreads - I once got 80Kbps for a plain GPRS connection, which is of course impossible.. subsequent retries returned a constistent 61.7 which is exactly what I'd expect).

10. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

The blank square means it's just GPRS. I think on the older software it didn't display a blue box - simply because EDGE is so common in the states so a 'GPRS' box wasn't needed!

11. fiftydollarshoe macrumors regular

12. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Speed test

I don't know if these are accurate but I did the EDGE test last night at home about 10.30pm, location Formby, 13 miles north of Liverpool city centre and got 493kpbs and the Wi-Fi this morning in my office in the city centre.

Good, bad? I've no idea on the EDGE test.

Anybody else done this test yet? is there a UK specific test we can do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Those are just the results of caching.. there's absolutely no way you're going to get 3.7Mbps off EDGE (you can't even get that off UMTS).

Try www.iphonespeedtest.com which seems to be more accurate.

I'm not aware of any in the UK that work with iphone.. it seems to be very hard to test eg. http://sod.ms/fast/ should work as it's a very simple test (no flash, java etc.), but doesn't... and as the dslr one shows, even if you make a test 'compatible' with the iphone if you don't take into account the amount of caching Safari does your results will be pure fantasy.

14. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

If you read his post again - the bottom image was done on Wifi.

:)

15. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

16. moel macrumors 6502

Why are people bi'atching about o2 edge and how you won't get it outside london...i get it in the quiet backwaters of Loughborough and most towns i go to..so it can't be that bad!

17. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I don't thing anyone's said that, but it only has between 10% and 30% coverage (depending on who you ask/believe) that means large chunks of the country are not covered, but O2 aren't releasing maps so people can't be sure of it until they actually get an iphone to find out.

18. moel macrumors 6502

Well i can assure people that edge will be rolled oout within the next few months..so at worst it'll be feb before they get it...

19. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

That's very welcome news, but could you tell us what you base that reassurance upon? :)

20. jaymort macrumors newbie

Im in Nottingham and so far have yet to get an EDGE connection anywhere, even in the city centre (I'm on O2). There are plenty of cloud wifi hotspots but so far only got a couple of them to actually connect as the wifi range on the phone is really poor. My wii finds more APs than my phone does in fact.

21. page3 macrumors 6502

I live in London and work in London. I don't get Edge either at work or home - only GPRS, or WiFi.

22. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I am amazed that the capital isn't covered.

Not doing very well are we!

23. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I get Edge at home (way out on the outskirts of the Glasgow Conservation) but not at the office - which is odd, given it is right next to Glasgow Airport and I would have thought that location more likely to have been upgraded.

Still have to snoop around a bit more to define the err... edge of my local Edge coverage.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have spotted the famous E once only, in Fulham, and I was deeply unimpressed with the extra capacity it provided.