Edge v Next v Apple Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roland.g, Sep 11, 2015.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I got some info that Verizon Edge installment plan is 2 years of payments but you can upgrade every 12 months by trading in or paying off.

Next is super confusing with Next 12, 18, 24 but I think I understand it.

Apple Upgrade seems nice that it adds AppleCare Plus to phone, but I don't like that it is through Citizens Bank or something. Doesn't seem as straightforward.

Can anyone explain them better and recommend the best option?

2. cardfan macrumors 65816

3. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Back in May, Verizon changed the policy so now you have to pay off 100% of the device before being eligible to upgrade. Sure, you can trade in your old phone, but it won't carry much value.

4. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Seriously? How is that at all different from the old 2 year contract system?

5. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

So I can pay off the remaining 12 months after one year (1/2 price of the phone) and then sell it?

6. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Well, with a two-year contract, if you bought out your contract, they wouldn't let you keep your number. Two-year contracts were also a much less expensive option for some.

Now, you can upgrade whenever you want and keep your number so long as you pay off the phone.

7. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

I guess. All that matters to Verizon is that they get 100% of the money for the phone.

8. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I mean, if you were buying out your contract in order to go to another carrier, you could just do a number port and then pay the ETF with Verizon, and you could keep your number. I just can't believe they make you pay the full price of the phone in order to upgrade, a big part of the incentive to keep people locked in with their current carrier was that you could upgrade before paying off the full phone, with the caveat that you now start back at month 1 of 24 monthly payments. And that way they could keep you paying them a monthly fee in perpetuity, as long as you wanted the annual upgrade.

9. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Hell, you don't need to tell me that. When Verizon announced that they were moving away from contracts (and before they announced that current customers would be allowed to keep and renew their current contracts), a rep tried to convince me that the new Verizon plan was a better option. I was like, "Really? You think it's better that I won't be locked into Verizon and will be able to go to another carrier whenever I wish?" She literally had nothing to counter that.

10. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

As I understand it with Next or Edge, the deal is that you have 2 options:

1. Turn in your phone after minimum months, and your trade in absolves you of the remaining payments and you start another payment plan.

2. Or pay off remaining payments, start a new plan, and sell your phone.

I think they've priced it so that the remaining payments are what they see the value as. You can pay it and try to recoup or make money or give it to them. I think if you turn it in you run the risk of a) leaving profit on the table, and b) having them tell you the condition isn't acceptable and you owe them something.

Verizon's website is absolutely horrible for information. AT&T is pretty good.

But I guess Verizon has a better network and a crappy website and from what I hear crappy customer service and AT&T has a better website, better support, but crappier network service.

What matters more to you, information and service, or the wireless service they are providing.

11. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

That's only an option with Next, though.

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...ain-makes-it-more-expensive-to-upgrade-early/

FWIW, though, I've never had poor customer service with Verizon. The phone reps have always tried to help me as much as possible. The only problems I've had have been with corporate decisions, like the restructuring of plans.

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Well, looking through Verizon's website, I don't even see any info on phone upgrades now. I don't see any mention of Edge when putting a phone in my cart, just monthly financing payments.