Edge - went there last night....ouch!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TraceyS/FL, May 25, 2010.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I was riding with a friend to a meeting across Orlando. We were on the (west) 408 and I was trying to get the map of where we were going up. I was trying to get MotionGPS to work.

Trying, and nothing was happening.

Being new to AT&T, I have no idea if that is a normal edge spot, or if because it was commute home time i got bumped down there because they were overloaded? It was like that for about 10 minutes....

But dang, if that was normal for edge, my hats are off to anyone that deals with that daily. I don't think i could pay for that...... I know i couldn't pay for that, and it was wayyyyyy slower than my non-evdo verizon data i had for awhile.

Anyway, i don't think i can complain about how slow 3G is now! :eek:

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Oh you will never ever know.

I live in South Dakota, and more often than not I'm on GPRS, let alone EDGE.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Please, please, walk away from the EDGE. It would be tragic to waste your life that way.

4. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

My unlocked Tmobile iphone has always been on edge :( so now my iPad seems so fast on 3G!

5. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I have never had that issue on the 408. I have had nothing but good 3G coverage in the Orlando area.

Hickman

6. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I hadn't been "to town" with it yet, so it was seriously number 1 trip. The 3G was slow at the TP ocoee mess, then when we got on the 408 was when i saw it was on edge. It was that was for while, so I just turned it off until we got to the other side of i4.

Glad to hear it isn't normal either..... The one time i wasn't in my car with my built in nav and needed the maps.... It failed.

Bad enough that my driver decided that the 3G isn't worth it....

7. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I've been lied to, my friends always tell me it's exciting living on the edge.:p

8. orlandocano macrumors regular

Getting HTC evo 4g in 11 days (this phone has already been rooted pre-launch so free mobile hotspot!!) ... 4G will be available in Miami and Orlando by the end of the Summer... GLAD i didnt let myself pay more for 3g ipad... running mobile hotspot on my pre already makes wifi internet on my ipad much faster than att service on the 3g model!! i tested it in downtown miami with a friends 3g!! i still have no idea why apple chose att... seems to me like their data network has ALWAYS been lagging behind its smaller competitors... (this coming from someone who spent his college years as an att/sprint service/sales rep)...

9. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, I don't have data on my phone, and am out of contract, and the thought of going back into a contract tied to having to have data makes me wanna puke.

For the majority of my use the 3G has been enough - better than the nothing i had before, and no contract!

But a friend will be glad to hear that it will be available in Orlando by the end of summer, she was pondering the evo. Of course, she is out on the coast so it might not be there. And i doubt they will roll out my area at first either.

I sold AT&T and Cingular phones at best buy.... It was hard because i knew they had no service off of the highway. For new customers i had to be honest and trll them to find a friend with a phone and check their service. The second best buy i worked at was one of the very first/only to have verizon because there was ZERO AT&T service in that area.....

But i don't relish tooooo many more trips to the edge! Lol!

10. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Should have listened to Aerosmith. They don't advocate it either.

11. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Dude its awesome! You never know what might happen!!
    Is this txt gonna send? Is Twitter gonna ever load?! **** another dropped call:rolleyes:

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I know what you mean. I have an unlocked iPhone and I switched from T-mobile to at&t only because of Edge.

13. tomatillo macrumors newbie

Just try driving through those big swaths of the west with no cell phone coverage at all, including pretty much all of the mountainous areas where it would be really nice to use GPS. You get a nice little blue dot on a featureless gray screen. "You are here..."

I keep hoping MotionGPS or one of the others will come up with a feature that allows you to pre-load maps before you drive off the edge.

14. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

They do already.

15. David R macrumors 6502

I have no problems with 3G coverage anywhere in Orlando. I only lose 3G if I get on the Turnpike heading North towards I-75, about 30 minutes North of Orlando or so.

16. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Being a CA native transplant to FL. Been there, done that... Except, Verizon at least had analog service and we could make a phone call during a breakdown in no-where Texas. Thankfully the San Bernadino 10 freeway goes all the way to FL! :cool:

It had to have been a tower problem yesterday, that happened in Ocala last week.

But I live the direction you have problems with!

17. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I agree with this post. Often times I am stuck on GPRS as well. Some people even complain that their 3G isn't fast enough. I wonder if it ever occurs to these people that the processor in mobile devices wouldn't even render as fast as a 3G connection provides bandwidth?

People have gotten so whiney these days. I get frustrated at times with slow connections and tech flaws as well but I remember the days we didn't have any of this at all. I mean if this post doesn't upload in 1.3 seconds and takes 3.0 seconds I will sell my MBP and cancel my broadband account.

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Lmao good shi*

19. jeffgtr macrumors regular

I deal with edge every day. If the iPhone becomes available on Verizon I am dropping AT&T without hesitation because their 3G coverage is so so limited. If you have a 3G iPad and have to travel anyplace besides a major metro area brace yourself for heartbreak.

20. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I'm on a MVNO out here in the boondocks, the moment iPhone is available on Big Red I'll drop service with them and switch.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You should live on the edge of a service area using an iPhone as your only phone. My signal seems to have gotten worse over the past couple of months, maybe coincidentally as AT&T got the MicroCell available in my area. I really don't want to dish out $150 for something you'd expect to get for $116 in monthly charges. I'm not in the middle of nowhere, just on the road there.

As far as data, it wasn't so bad with the original iPhone because I didn't know what I was missing. When I have my 3GS at relatives' places in Alabama, EDGE is like getting a root canal, and all I'm usually loading is text!